Hey there, from South Australia!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Melody22B, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Melody22B

Melody22B Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    '05 Daihatsu Copen
    Hey everyone!
    So a little about me first: I'm 18 and live in South Australia. I actually don't yet have my license, but the purchase of this little thing has basically forced me to!

I've recently bought and currently importing (from Japan) a manual yellow '05 Copen Detachable Top
    image001.jpg image022.jpg image029.jpg
    It's been modified by it's previous owner, which saves me money later and raises some slight questions in terms of me being able to drive it on my P's lol. Here's what's been done to it: D-Sports carbon bonnet, Upgraded turbo, Upgraded exhaust, Upgraded radiator, Tein suspension, LSD, Heavy duty engine mounts, Upgraded clutch and Alloy wheels.
    I'm super excited to get it and drive it and I know it's going to be an adventure owning it!

Andrew Buesnel and Vin Petrol like this.
  2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Awesome! Hope you enjoy it!
    I got my Copen at 18 too and I'm loving every minute of it :D

Melody22B likes this.
  3. jaybdy

jaybdy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Ooh! Another one for South Australia!
    I'm curious as to the cost involved in importing one from Japan versus buying one locally.

Melody22B likes this.
  4. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Nice car, but if you're only 18 I assume you're on your P's.
    That means you can't drive a modified car right?
    Might be something you want to check out.

Melody22B and Vin Petrol like this.
  5. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Weird laws over there, that does look worrying if wikipedia is right though. South Australia P1 regulations seem to mean you can't even drive a standard copen since it's turbocharged?

Drivers who obtain a P1 provisional licence on or after 4 September 2010 must not drive a high-powered vehicle if they are under the age of 25. High powered includes vehicles with engines of eight or more cylinders, vehicles with turbocharged or supercharged engines (excluding diesel powered vehicles), vehicles that have been modified to increase engine performance, and nominated high-performance vehicles. High-powered vehicle restrictions do not apply to drivers over 25 years of age. P plates of any kind are not displayed when on the P2 licence.

Melody22B likes this.
  6. Melody22B

Car(s):
    '05 Daihatsu Copen
    I'm spending around $17,000 all up, compliance and all that. The car itself was around $9k. A bit more than buying one locally, but this has hardly any Km's on it and it's yellow.

I don't yet have my license (lazy) so I'll at least be able to drive it for a while. As for the P's issue, honestly I would hope it won't be an issue, considering the power the car makes turbo/modified or not. I'll try get an exception for it. More than happy to let the SA compliance people laugh at the tiny amount of power it makes.
    Worst comes to worst I buy a crap car whilst on my P's, which isn't ideal but I guess if they feel the need to stop me driving a car which makes a max of like 70kw with the mods then so be it.

EDIT: Looked on CarSales and according to that the stock 660cc Turbo Copen is P Plate legal. Mine being modified might completely change that but I really hope not. I think I might have a car that's in a bit of a grey area in terms of P Plate legality.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  7. jaybdy

jaybdy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Goodness, that’s a fair chunk of dosh for a Copen! Be keen to check it out in person when it’s ready for the road. :)

Melody22B likes this.
  8. Melody22B

Car(s):
    '05 Daihatsu Copen
    69,000km (68,765 to be precise) on it and modified so I can't be too upset honestly. I plan on keeping it forever so it'll be well worth it.
    Definitely! It's really not going to be a difficult car to spot lol!

AFR0N1 likes this.
  9. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    It looks clean and I doubt you’ll have the rust issues we suffer from in the UK, but that’s a serious chunk of money for a Copen. To give you a comparison, I just PX’d my 1.3 with 90k km for GBP3k and it was in pretty good condition.

Melody22B likes this.
  10. Melody22B

Car(s):
    '05 Daihatsu Copen
    I don't regret it and hopefully it'll live up to it!

11. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Yellow Juke Tekna & 2006 silver Copen.
    Gorgeous colour and love the contrast!

Melody22B likes this.
  12. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Just my opinion but you’ll love owning and driving it even if it costs you a kidney.

Melody22B and AFR0N1 like this.
  13. ScottS

ScottS Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Renault Sport Megane 265 Trophy 8:08
    Congrats on the purchase, looks awesome!!!

14. Melody22B

Car(s):
    '05 Daihatsu Copen
    It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce that my Copen dream is over for now.

Issues with compliancing the thing have been around for a while, and it's finally reached a point where there's just no chance it's going to happen right now.
    The car also got caught up in Typhoon Jebi in Japan recently, but was found to be okay.

The little nugget is unfortunately going to have to be resold in Japan, and I'm going to try import an AW11 MR2 instead.
    I've only ever seen pictures of the car, but it's a hard goodbye to make nonetheless.

Maybe one day in the future I'll try import another one of these little things and maybe it'll all go right.

15. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    a lot of things is like a dream.[​IMG]

get old and love it:D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  16. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Why are you so keen to import something?
    With your budget you could easily buy a local Copen in very good condition then modify it once you're off your P's.

The only Mr2 Aw11 worth getting is the supercharged version which you still can't drive on your P's so it seems a bit pointless you getting one at this stage in your life.

17. JMK

JMK Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2003 copen
    Hey Melody how much is it costing you all up in aussie dollars will be interested in hearing how it works out for you ovrr time regards john

18. Melody22B

Car(s):
    '05 Daihatsu Copen
    I don't particularly want to spend that kind of money on a car here, plus I'm not even guaranteed the colour or gearbox that I want.
    The whole reason I'm okay with spending the money on one from Japan is 1; condition of the car and 2; I don't necessarily treat the import costs as part of the cost of the car. I treat it as $9000 to buy and $7/8000 to get it over here and drivable.
    I was already aware that it was gonna cost extra to bring one over.

I'm keen on bringing a car over here for multiple reasons. 1. I'm young and it seems like a good time to try something different, which might lead to more in the future. 2. I really like the idea of having something unique, and importing a car allows for that, without the car being so crazily hard to find parts for. 3. I have the money to spend so why not? I was very close to giving up, but I'm not one to do that when so much effort has been put into it already.

As for the MR2, I'm aware that the supercharged one is the one to go for, but I really don't care that much? I like the look of the AW11 and just having one would be cool, supercharged or not. My other ideas were the mid 2000's Corolla Levin, a N/A S13 (not legal), and the other car I was potentially looking at, the Z32 300ZX. Other than that I can't think of much else I want that's importable. If you have any other ideas I'd appreciate it.

19. lex schotel

lex schotel Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 2004 ,, lamborghini murcielago
    well I have a black one thats up for grabs :)