1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Steam from front of car!!!!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by quickbrownfox, Dec 11, 2011.

1. quickbrownfox

quickbrownfox Copenworld Newbie

Hello, just been for a drive and steam was coming out of the front if the car and I panicked!

It's very wet here today, I was driving at 70ish for about twenty mins, then pretty much straight into standing traffic.
    It seemed to be getting worse, pulled over, opened the bonnet, nothing leaking or anything. Closed the bonnet, drove
    off and everything seemed to be fine. The temp gauge remained normal during this.

Is it just moisture evaporating off hot parts of the engine (turbo) or should I be worried?

Thanks from a worried new owner

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. CA49000

CA49000 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    '00 Honda Ferio SiR (Track Car)
    '06 Daihatsu Copen (Daily)
    '10 Daihatsu Sirion 1.5 Sport (Family Car)
    if nothing was leaking, then i would not worry. Could have been water touching hot surfaces. Just my opinion.

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I'm not an expert on mechanicals. All I can offer you is my opinion.
    Going by your description of the event.
    I think that whilst you were driving fast in wet weather. Spray/moisture is pushed into the engine bay due to the high speed. This got on or near the engine. When you stopped it just turned to steam.

Only start worrying if it does the same in dry weather.

4. quickbrownfox

Thanks guys, that's what my Dad said. I'm probobally over worried because one of my old cars overheated and was never the same afterwards, despite the work I had done. I guess the main thing is that the temperature didn't go up.

Fingers crossed, but to be safe, I won't drive it so vigerously!

5. quickbrownfox

Bit of an update - seems to be okay, touch wood...
    I feel a bit of a plonker, but it may have been the windscreen. I always have the screen blowers on and I noticed when it snowed before Christmas every time the wipers went across it steamed on the outside. Pulled over felt the glass and it was really warm.