1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Roof/boot not opening!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Marie Maynard, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Marie Maynard

Marie Maynard Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    I tried to open the boot before a journey but the release didn't completely open . . Now I am stuck with a boot that is neither open or sealed shut and a roof that refuses to operate cos the boot not shut properly. . . . Frustrated!:think::-((

2. PauliePaul

PauliePaul Copenworld Regular

do you use it often as i have found that can happen when your battery is almost outta juice

3. RHD

RHD Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Saab 9-3
    Hi

In the centre console there's a button to open the boot. if that fails, then page 10-20 in the owner manual will tell u how to open the boot manually.
    Hope this helps:))

4. Marie Maynard

Car(s):
    Copen
    Non opening boot!

The boot release in the console only partly opened the boot and I think this is the problem why roof won't open. It makes whirring noise like it wants to try but can't because boot won't release as it is partly unlocked. I don't know how to manually open the boot so I can shut it properly and see if everything works!. . . . Any tips! Please. . . I have no handy man to help!!:cool::rolleyes:

5. Marie Maynard

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi

Ok. . Good tip! I'll get that checked out but the boot won't lock down properly nor will it open!?? So don't know what to do with it! M x:rolleyes::cool:

6. Marie Maynard

Car(s):
    Copen
    I actually do use the car every day though as only one I got!!!

7. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    Lift bonnet and stick battery on a charger. Should be able to operate boot electrics within a few minutes. Your battery will then need fully recharged or replaced if it is indeed the source of the problem.

8. PauliePaul

PauliePaul Copenworld Regular

i have had this happen to me before but only when the battery was pretty much dead... you'd press the boot button and then it would only open abit which ment you couldnt open it nor close it so im my case when this has happened i left it as it was and just charged the battery then it would then work properly again :D

9. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Take a trip to Halfords/Kwikfit & see if they will test your battery for you. If it is a dud they will also replace it for you.
    If the battery is fine you'll need to operate the boot manually. Dig out your owners manual. Within it as a how to on doing it. If you don't have a owners manual, you can download a copy of the 1.3 owners manual from the directory section of the forum. It has the same instructions to manually operate the boot & roof.
    Fingers crossed it's the battery.

10. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Sorry Guys, but am I missing something here? :think:

Marie, will the car start?
    If so will the boot / roof operate with the engine running?

Rex.

11. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    This happened to me after i got the car back from being repaired. As you said the boot only partly opens and you cannot get it open or closed:mad:.. This is what i did.... After you have pressed the boot release button you have said that the boot is not fully unlocked correct? Push the boot lid until it clicks back shut. Now Lock the car using your fob. Now unlock the car but keep the unlock button pressed so that the boot latch will operate, at the same time lift the boot lid, You should now have the boot open. Now with the boot open if you look on the boot lid itself you will see the boot catch this has a lever on it which should have a small rubber gromet on it. (This is the part that pops the boot lid) I found mine was bent slightly. having bent the lever forwards ( towards the front of the car ) This put the lever back into the correct position so it can push against the plastic trim inside the boot!!!!! Close the boot and retry... It should now open correctly :D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013