1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!Petrol Cap not opening!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Tiff, May 1, 2012.

1. Tiff

Tiff Copenworld Newbie

Hi, Has anyone any advice on a problematic petrol cap (The external one, operated by the button insode the centre console) Mine doesn't seem to want to open, yikes! :eek:

2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Not heard of this problem before Tiff.
    Now, I don't mean to pedantic, but I guess you mean the lever not the button. I've has a few problems with the button sticking in, then the boot won't close. Good old WD40 sorted this out.

Back to you...
    As it is a lever, I guess it is a cable - you could probably adjust it, but need the centre console to be removed.

Rex

3. Tiff

Tiff Copenworld Newbie

Thanks for the reply Rex. Yes, sorry, I meant the lever. It opens eventually, but can take upto 50 or so attempts! Might ask the garage for some advice before I run out of petrol!

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Tiff, it is indeed a cable. Check out section I1-37 of the service manual for a nice diagram.
    I'd take the centre console out & check the cable at the lever. The lever could be loose or the cable could be damaged or stretched. Or even just miss-located.
    To check the other end it says to take the back panels out. Not a hard job to do. I wonder if you might be able to get to it from the boot side?

5. Tiff

Tiff Copenworld Newbie

Thanks Adam, will have a look through the manual (i.e. hold it under my Dad's nose at the weekend and do a sad face!!!) and will show tell him what you've suggested. I'll let you all know how we (okay, he) gets on. Thank you again for the good advice, Copenworld is certainly a fantastic place for Copen owners, such a helpful community.

6. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi Tiff,

some had problems with the pin, which locks the fuel lid.
    Open the fuel lid and you will see a little back pin, which is retracted by the cable when you pull the lever in the glove box.
    Check, whether this pin is held in place correctly, or whether the holder of the pin is a little bit loose.

Sorry, cannot describe it better, but you will see, when you open the fuel lid.

Andreas

7. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    thanks for this, I checked when I picked my new copen up today and ... it didn't open. The guy managed to open it (pulling lever while getting fingers in gap of cap) then adjusted the hole the black peg goes in to keep it shut and its all Ok now.

8. Tiff

Tiff Copenworld Newbie

Aha! Thank you Andreas, I had a look and you're spot on! The circle of black plastic holding the pin was a bit loose, gave it a push and a couple of turns and it is opening & shutting just fine, Thank you!
    Tiff:D:D