Help! Engine light on after changing plugs

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by noddy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. noddy

noddy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Smart 450, B and C Class
    Hi all,

Im from South Africa. Daihatsu officially exited the country a few years ago so there aren't any Daihatsu dealerships here. With the 1300 copen having the K3VE engine as used in some Toyotas I was wondering if i ought to take my vehicle to Toyota in future.

My current problem.

I recently replaced my regular NGK (BKR6EY) spark plugs - which were fine - with Iridium IFR6T plugs.

Post the plugs change, i drove a few
    Kms and my engine management light came on. The error code said cylinder 4 misfire. Believing the Iridium plugs to not be suitable, i had the error codes cleared and re-installed the old plugs.

Unfortunately the engine management light still comes on. This time the codes relate to cylinder 1 3 and 4 and various misfires. The car seems to be going fine though.
    Any thoughts as to what could be wrong?
    Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

2. noddy

noddy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Smart 450, B and C Class
  3. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    I can say not a lot to 1300, but had you clean up the ecu after change the plugs? so than its can learn the new setup.

control the plugs , separate Batt for 20 minutes, reset faults..

Some times NGK has problems with the sparks. Change spark to other cylinder.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Going back to basics, did you check the plug gap before installing the new plugs ? Did you also have the proper thin walled plug spanner that reaches into the head properly (I failed on that one). Finally, how careful were you in removing the coil packs first time around so that you didn’t dislodge a wire or put them back in the wrong position ?

Then, as @welz suggests, disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset everything.

5. noddy

noddy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Smart 450, B and C Class
    Hi. Many thanks for the prompt response. I am not familiar with cleaning up the ECU. The error codes were deleted. I will try disconnecting the battery as you suggested. The plug removal/replacement instructions are very basic in the owners manual.
    Best regards

6. noddy

noddy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Smart 450, B and C Class
    Hi. I was told that the new plug gap was preset so did not look at that. Post the engine light problem, i replaced the new plugs with the old plugs (which were in good conditon) and the engine light came on again after having deleting the error codes. I think the spanner was ok. I will try the battery dc. I can't see any dislodged wires but will have another look. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

7. noddy

noddy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Smart 450, B and C Class
    So i removed the coils, re-installed them in different cylinders and deleted the error codes. I've driven about 10kms without the engine light coming on. I hope it stays that way!
    Not sure if i should now install the Iridium plugs....

8. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    why? never change a running system..

If you get problems with the sparks in future, may try it again.

9. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    All you’ve done is got the wrong coil on the wrong plug so the firing order is out of synch.

Keep the Iridium plugs for the next change but next time, change them one at a time so you don’t mess up the firing order.