1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by yvonneclarke, Mar 21, 2012.

1. yvonneclarke

yvonneclarke Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 silver 28000 miles plus hubby's daimler xj8 - both lovely cars
    Hello everyone! i'm a grandmother looking around for a 'new' car, and want something different. right now I have a toyota celica convertible (97 model). it's a nice head turning car, but noisy and getting expensive to run. The Copen has caught my eye and I am considering looking around for one - maybe the last fun car I own before settling into Ford Fiesta land! I love the automatic hood - just like my Celica. May I throw a few questions to the membership?

1. are we confident we will be able to have the cars maintained now Daihatsu are pulling out?
    2. is the 1300 engine a lot better than the 700?
    3. does the roof usually fit snugly, or does it rattle a lot?
    4. is the car very noisy and draughty, or snug and warm?
    5. do the demisters work ok? (my Celica is dreadful)
    6. do we think the scarcity value will help them keep their value?

lots of questions I know, but would appreciate honest opinions before I go traipsing round the country looking :) I live in Bedford

thanks

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Copen
    2017 Volvo S60 BSR
    1. The underpinnings are mostly Toyotaparts, so i don´t think it´s a problem.
    2. Yes i think so.
    3. No rattle in mine.
    4. Yes it´s noisy and draughty.
    5. No problem if you use ac.
    6. I think that they will hold the value pretty good.

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Yvonne, Welcome to Copenworld.
    As buckshot said most parts are linked with Toyota. Ex-Daihatsu dealers will still offer parts & servicing. You don't need to go to a dealer for servicing though. There is an online Daihatsu parts dealer where parts can be ordered from, if a Daihatsu dealer is not near to you.
    You'll never get us to agree on which engine is better. I have the 659 turbo & think that's the better choice. It depends on your budget, what mileage you cover etc. The 1.3 engines are more expensive as they are newer. The 659 engine requires an oil change every 300 miles & an oil filter every 6000 miles.
    The 659 engine is more "revvy" & as such is more fun to drive.
    The roof does rattle a bit, but can be tightened & lubricating helps.
    I do not find it draughty. The roof sits & seals well.
    The heater works well & the air conditioning helps demist the windows. Most models also have heated seats.
    I think the Copen will be a future classic. Prices will go down but will rise eventually. This is years away though. The similar older Suzuki Cappuccino dropt in price to a low of around £3000 for an A1 condition car. The rarity of these models is now slowly raising the price.
    Hope this helps & good luck with your search.

4. yvonneclarke

Car(s):
    thanks very much for the replies :) they are appreciated. I;m leaning towards a copen now

5. nertman

nertman Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    57 plate copen
    Customised MGTF
    Nissan Terrano
    Suzuki GSR
    Kawasaki W800
    after two weeks

Hi there,
    we have had our 1300 for a couple of weeks now and think the car is spot on .
    we will use the car to attend shows,use as our daily driver and also for my better half to travel up and down the country visiting.

Our car seems to be doing a very good average of 40 mpg plus,apart from a couple of annoying occasional rattles the roof system is perfect.

The handling,perforamce are all just what you need for fun motoring.

We are very lucky as we via our local club have often cars leant to us to try and displayafter using everything from a tvr to a new mx5,for fun we have allways said the best car has been the mgtf,we have now amended our statment and said the copen and tf are on an equal par for giving you the fun factor
    hope this helps

6. Buckshot

Buckshot Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Copen
    2017 Volvo S60 BSR
    I mean with the roof down. :)

7. yvonneclarke

Car(s):
    I'm convinced!!

Hello Everyone!

I went to have a test drive in a lovely little Copen yesterday afternoon and i'm sold on it!! Loads of fun to drive and plenty of ooomph; hubby and I fit in without head banging on the roof; boot plenty for shopping (of course if hubby isn't occupying the passenger seat that is available for groceries etc). The particular car I drove is not for me, as it's a bit long in the tooth, overpriced, and a bit tired looking when examined up close (road chips etc).
    So here's the spec for what I am wishing for:-

1. 1.3 engine with top spec.
    2. no more than 20,000 to 30,000 miles max
    3. FSH
    4. preferably one owner
    5. not pink, yellow or red :)

I've been researching the internet and come to the conclusion that dealers are asking a whole lot more than they paid for the cars! No surprise there!
    However, it occurred to me that a membership like Copenworld might usefully offer a vehicle for members to sell their babies on when circumstances require. How about it? Meanwhile, if anyone knows of a nice example meeting my criteria then cash is waiting. Let's cut out a dealer :)

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Glad to hear you've decided to join the Copen family.
    Good hunting.

9. yvonneclarke

Car(s):
    I took the Plunge :)

well we did it! bought a lovely little 1300 model last weekend in Manchester, and drove it down the motorway 150 miles to Bedford. It's lovely, and so much fun to drive - but you all know that anyway :)

Just a couple of niggles to sort out (seat belt loose and the odd rattle) but these are minor. A bonus is that with the top down, windows up, heater and blower on high (and the odd 5 minutes with the seats being heated) you can bowl along warm as toast. I love it!

10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Congratulations