1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by butterfly, Oct 24, 2009.

1. butterfly

butterfly Copenworld Newbie

Hi. I've just found this site while looking for information about the Copen on the internet. I'm thinking about buying a Copen after seeing one recently and I think it looks fab. I really like the idea of a little cute convertible like this but I was wondering about running costs. Are they cheap to run and are they reliable? Thanks.

2. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello butterfly, and welcome to copenworld.

I've only had my Copen for about 2 months, and I have to admit I haven't actually measured the miles per gallon I'm getting. However, based on the fact that I don't seem to have to fill it up very often, it certainly seems very economical. The "official" figure from Daihatsu is 47.1 mpg, which seems very good to me. Perhaps another member may be able to help with "real world" measured figures?

As for reliability, I haven't had mine long enough to know what it's like, but "Which?" magazine rates Daihatsu as the second most reliable car brand (just behind Honda), so I'm hoping it will prove very reliable! Actually, I think it might be worth featuring this fact in a front-page news story!

3. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello Butterfly,

I have also had my Copen for a short time, but I have measured the MPG. Driving about 70% of the time on the motorway at 70 mph, I got just slightly short of 50mpg. I was surprised and delighted, as this is higher than the official figure. But then, due to its size there is not much drag, and the roof, bonnet and boot are made from aluminium, so it is also light. Road tax is £120 per year.

Any way, all that is just a bonus, wait until you drive one. The way they stick to the road is amazing. It’s a bit like driving a go-cart – great fun.

Yes, the ride is quite hard, there are plenty of rattles, but really, after you have driven one, this is not a concern. Then there is the roof…. It’s a show stopper. Try opening it whilst waiting at the lights….. (needs the handbrake on.)

As I’m sure you know, new they come with a 5-year warrantee and Daihatsu are linked to Honda.

Find a local dealer and have a go… Life will be more interesting! :D

4. butterfly

Wow I didn't expect to get replies so quickly. It sounds great I want one even more now. I cant afford a new one, so I'm looking for a good second hand one. I've been looking on ebay to get an idea of prices and I think I might just be able to scrape together enough money. My brother is a mechanic so I'll get him to have a look for me when I find one I like. I really like the yellow one I saw on this forum :)

5. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    That would probably be my Yellow Peril! :)

Welcome to the forum, Butterfly. I've had my Copen for nearly a year now, and I find the fuel economy really is as advertised - I do a combination of long and short runs, and it averages out at around 45 mpg. As for reliability - well, I suppose I haven't had her long enough to really answer that, but so far the answer seems to be a resounding YES!!. Everything has continued to work perfectly since I've had her, and I do drive her a lot.

The only issue that has seemed to raise its ugly head is rust. This seems to vary from Copen to Copen, but a lot of owners have found that their little cars don't stand up to British weather and road conditions very well. :(

6. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

Welcome to the forum butterfly.

I get beteen 40 and 46 mpg depending on how I drive. This is an accurate figure which I obtained by filling the tank and recording the miles covered at the next fill. I've done this about 6 times.

I think I could get higher mpg but it's hard to resist the fun of driving just a little bit sporty.

In my short experience my Copen has been 100% reliable apart from the exhaust which is a consumable item on all cars.

As a fun car the Copen overall is hard to beat. Low cost, cheap to run, fun, enjoyable to drive.
    You soon get used to all the attention and learn to ignore it although I am sick of people driving right up my a**e to try to see what the car is.

You won't regret buying one.

M.

7. butterfly

Thanks for the information I've now just got to find a good one for sale that I can afford :)

8. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

I've kept records for mine since new. Kinda sad, but was interested to see how close to manufacturers data it got.

Worst 36mpg, best 55mpg, average 40.9mpg. That's over 11k miles, mostly a mix of urban and motorways at 75mph.

That 55 was done twice in two weeks whilst touring to Orkney and back.

Servicing seems on a par with other vehicles. Just be aware that they do use front tyres quickly, 10-12k miles seems usual...........one just can't do roundabouts slowley ;)

9. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

you couldnt get any more reliable with a copen.
    Im on 191,000 km most expensive part was 2 O2 sensors.
    which i had to wait for a month to get, but still drove the car without them no problem. Other than that, brake pads replaced, a new battery, and tyres a few times over obviosly with the high kilometers. You have to service them extremely regularly, but thats ok. service by Toyota isnt expensive anyway
    more to do with oil changes which should be done every 3000kkm or thereabouts
    i imagine in the future, it could be more expensive to repair, now diahatsu isnt in australia, or for that matter europe also. Im buying a second one for parts, just in case.