1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello it's Ned

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nedryerson, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Hello,

I am potential Copen Owner looking to restore a damaged 2008 model if the price is reight but here's the thing.

With Diahatsu pulling out of Europe will body panels be difficult to obtain or wildly expensive ?

Anyone know where they can be obtained ?

Thanks

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Ned, Welcome to Copenworld.
    Daihatsu parts are expensive anyway. So body panels won't be cheap.
    Parts that aren't held in Europe will be special order from Japan. I was told by my local Daihatsu dealer for a 6-8 week wait for parts not held.
    Check out this link for a spares catalogue for the 659cc Copen. All the panels should be the same
    http://forums.copenworld.com/showthread.php?t=736

Find your nearest Daihatsu dealer, alternatively try SG Petch. They beat my local Daihatsu dealer on the price for a set of alloys by almost £150!
    http://daihatsu-copen.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/parts/fuels/edition=233=278

3. Nedryerson

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Servicing 700 cc engines

Hello,

Ideally I would like to own a 1.3 but the damaged repairable I have been looking at is too far gone.

So, what is your experience with the 700 unit. Performance, economy, reliability?

I heard they need a service every 3000 miles. Is this true ?

Ned

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Ned,
    That's correct the 659 engine needs an oil change every 3000 miles/6 moaths. With an oil filter change at 6000 miles/1 year.
    Turbo's are delicate if the oil changes haven't been regularly carried out.
    Performance is great. High revving & the turbo'ed.

Off topic, have you ever seen a film called Ground Hog Day?
    There was a character in it called Ned Ryerson, he was an I surname salesman.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  6. Nedryerson

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Of course it's my favourite movie !!

My actual name is Colin !

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Bing!! :d

8. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    Dwayner

Colin the copen 600cc is super reliable- as long as you service it regularly.
    Havent had much go wrong at all - but im in australia, and parts are a little rarer than europe - servicing is mainly for the Turbo - which is delicate, but can last a very long time, if looked after - ive done 200,000 km, and at its last service, they told me that the turbo is fine - i tend to turbo anxiety- because they are super expensive to replace - in australia, they cost around 2,000 dollars to buy and about the same to fit it!! there was a Copen near me that was modified, and the engine blew up - cost her over 9,000 dollars to repair. But the upside is, if looked after, it has great performance, great reliability and is great on fuel.. bad things? you do feel rather small on the freeways, beside a large truck , and there is a harsh "ride", but other than that, they are great little cars - if sopmewhat impractical some of the times. ;)

9. Nedryerson

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Thanks for your post.

I've been over to Hathern in Leicestershire to see two pranged copens (they are on eBay).

Trouble is the yard wants top dollar for them which, added to the repair costs make the proposition uneconomic.

Ideally, I would like the 1.3 but they tend to sell for more than I've got,

Ned