1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Cape Town - Just Joined

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ashley, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    Hello!

I've just joined - I'm buying a Copen and started searching the internet to see what I could find out about them.

It seems that everybody loves them and why not?

My story is that my wife was nagging me to buy a new Toyota FJ Cruiser. For those of you in countries where it is not available here's a link to a picture of one FJ Cruiser

I think we can all agree that it could be described as "fugly"?

So I tried to steer her away from that monstrosity and show her what else is available - enter the ad I saw for an '09 1.3l Copen. So we went to see it and take it for a drive - it was love at first sight! She looks fine in it (she's 5'0"), but I can't help feeling that I look like Noddy!

So now we're in the process of buying the car - hope to get it before the New Year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year to all!

Ashley

2. Scareysue

Scareysue Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid
    I think we do agree that Toyota is one fugly motor!

My husband loves borrowing my Copen, hope you get chance to do the same.

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Welcome to Copenworld Ashley.
    I quite like the FJ cruiser, retro styling from the original land cruiser.

Have a great Christmas in your new Copen.

4. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    Adam,

I quite agree - the FJ is a fabulous car - we took one for a test drive and it really was excellent. It just looks fugly.

Being that ugly has its own appeal - it certainly hasn't hindered the appeal of many actors... And, of course, beauty (while being in the eye of the beholder) is only skin deep.

Other down-sides are that it is quite big and wide and Toyota only claim 11.9l/100km that's 24mpg - although that's not surprising given the 4.0l V6 engine - but we all know that manufacturer's claims are optimistic, at best. Also quite expensive in S.A. - but cars are all expensive in S.A.

Compare that with my Copen - Quote from my daughter "Oh, how cute is that?"

5. Scareysue

Scareysue Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid
    That's very true. My mate reckons the Mini Clubman is hideous, but I rather like it. Like an old English Bulldog. Strange to look at, yet I can't help going "awww"