1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Copen lovers!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lovebug_car, Apr 18, 2013.

1. lovebug_car

lovebug_car Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi, my name is Carmen & I live in Gloucestershire.

I am looking to purchase a 1.3 Copen as soon as I can afford it. I have fallen in love with this cute car, even making me forget about the fact that my next car should have a road tax band of A to D at the most!

My boyfriend suggested this sporty little car & now I can't wait to own one.

I would love to test drive before I actually purchase (which looks like it could be a a fair way away as there doesnt seem to be many in my area) so I dont suppose there are any friendly copen owners around Stroud that would allow me a ride/a look at theirs, just so I know what to expect. I am looking for the 1.3 as their service intervals are just like a normal car unlike the 700cc engine requiring more regular oil changes etc. (Hope this is correct!)

Anyway, this is me and I hope to be a copen owner very soon! :D

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Carmen, welcome to Copenworld.
    Would love to help you try a Copen, except I have the 659 turbo version.

3. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi Adam, Thanks for your reply.
    I'll try to find a 1.3 to look at but I'll probably want to take it home with me!

4. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    You could have a quick spin in mine, its the better 1.3 version, right Adam ;)

But I don't live that close to Gloucestershire, would be a fair drive for you. Or bicycle ride if you don't have a car lol

5. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
  6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
  7. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    DaG, how can you even suggests such a thing!

8. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    There is of course a mod that is missing from picture 3 but I'm not going to be the one to say what it is:D

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Shhh.......:D

10. quibbles

quibbles Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2008 Copen and an Avensis
    I'm in Leicester and have a 2008 1.3. It's a fair way for you to come, but I'd love to show Nobby off! It's dark metallic grey with red leather interior, and very classy ;)

11. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    ClareL: Thank you for looking that up. Bit far for a test drive although I was up there last weekend! Is the missing item the exhaust guard?? Be gentle, I'm still learning here!

DaG: Of course! Wouldnt get a ride otherwise :)

trustafox: I'd love a go & thank you for your offer but think you're right, a bit far from Stroud :( When I am ready to buy, however I dont think distance will be too much of a problem. My partner says if I find a good one, we'll go check it out, yay! ...So the 1.3 is the 'better' one, glad about that. The thought of the cost of the smaller turbo engine's regular oil & filter changes nearly put me off...nearly

12. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    OOoh, I like the dark metallic grey colour. I presume that I'll end up with the silver as that seems to be the colour most available. I dont mind. They are all cute....although I may have to say no to a yellow one. Not sure what colours the 1.3 comes in. Do you know?
    Your Nobby sounds lovely but at the moment Leicester might be a bit of a trek from here just for a test drive but thank you anyway :) Everyone is very nice & helpful on here.
    We've been to the Bristol Classic Car show today at shepton mallet and anyone we spoke to seems so helpful & knowledgeable about their chosen car(love). It seems much the same on here. So nice.

Can I ask you what you have done to protect your 1.3 from rust? I know its only 5 years old. I hope that I end up with an '08 or younger but I have been told to watch out for rust spots etc. Is there anything else I should look for? I'll read the buyers guide on here as well but thought I'd ask... Thank you in advance.

13. quibbles

Car(s):
    Well personally, I've only had Nobby a few months, so apart from not going out when it's snowy, so I avoid any salt on the road, I haven't done anything to protect against rust. Adam is the forum's fount of all Copen knowledge, so I'm sure he can advise you better than I can :D
    I do hope you manage to find one soon. I had to wait a few months to find my ideal car, but it was soooooo worth the wait! I absolutely adore it, and I hope you feel the same about yours. I was the same as you, my hubby showed me a picture of one, and I fell hook, line and sinker!
    Not sure about colours.....again, cue Adam.

14. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    There is nothing missing really:D it is just once you buy your Copen you find yourself wanting to start buying little extras for it. If you check out Adams thread on the modifications page you will see loads of things that he has done that you just have to have! My Copen is a 1.3 but again a bit far to travel. There are good things about both engines and I test drove one of each but in the end a newer car with less frequent servicing swung it for me. Good luck in your search, eventually I had a few colours to chose from but I did have to travel around a bit to find them.

15. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    :eek:
    You can't say things like that!;)
    Let's just say both types have their merits.
    Yes you get screwed by the road tax & the service intervals on the 659 turbo. :eek:
    However you do get a wider option for modified parts, The turbo engine is a hoot to drive. Your getting the Copen as the designers intended in Kei car form. :D
    The 1.3 can come with Recaro seats!:cool:

Read here for a guide on how to protect your Copen. Valid which ever model you have.
    https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showth...highlight=rust

That will protect the underside. Give the car a good polish with a decent wax. Get some nice beading.
    Personally I use Meguiars products. Washed with a two bucket system & a microfiber was mitt. One bucket to swill off the dirt. The second bucket has the soap, Meguiars Gold class shampoo. Once a year I clay bar the body (just did it yesturday.). Followed by a cleaning wax, then using a proper wax (Meguiars Gold Class). To finish off a quick wipe over with quick detailer. The result is a glass finish shine. Beautiful.

Have a look in the directory tab at the top of the forum. In there you will be able to download the 1.3 sales brochure.
    Original colours offered:
    Shining Red
    Champagne Metallic
    Silver Metallic
    Steel Grey Metallic

Not to open up a can of worms, the missing part referred to was the fuel filler door cover. Let's say there was a discussion of it's merits in another thread.
    Put it this way I have the genuine Daihatsu accessory on mine. :D
    https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=561

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  16. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Your budget and the age of the car you want dictates which engine you get.
    I spent more than I originally intended to spend but I decided I wanted a 1.3 and my original 4k budget would only get me a 2006 660. So I had to up that to 5.5k to get a 2008 with the engine I wanted.
    One of the problem with buying a niche car like the Copen is you have to be prepared to travel to get the car you want. There were very few in the Sunderland area where I live and eventually I bought a car from Doncaster. Before that I'd looked at another Copen near Edinburgh which I didn't buy because the seats were a bit tatty. I had told the wife I was taking her for a weekend away in Scotland, she wasn't over pleased when after booking into the hotel I said that I just wanted to have a quick look at a car in Livingstone.:) Women, never grateful.:D

17. quibbles

Car(s):
    I went down quite an expensive route by getting someone else to look on my behalf, because all the decent looking Copens seemed to be in Devon or N. Ireland or something. I got Palmdale Car Finding Service to do the hunting, because they go and look at any car for you, and deliver it to your door. They say they can negotiate a good trade deal for you too. It did cost a few hundred quid but it took the effort out of it.
    In the end they posted on here saying they were looking for one and it was Adam who pointed out my car to them, and they did the rest. I probably could have saved a few bob by posting on here in the first place, but hey ho

18. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I knew the 1.3 is better comment would get you on the defensive Adam ;)
    I wish the YRV 1.3 turbo was fitted.

For sure, there are not as many engine mods for the 1.3. You have to make your own up.

19. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks for your reply. Looks like Adam has heard your cue!

I know I will find my ideal copen & don't mind travelling for him. I have a few months of looking as I need time to gather my funds. Like you say it'll be worth the wait :)

20. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thank you everyone for all of your helpful advice.

Adam, that info is great. I've never heard of a clay bar!

DaG, any excuse for a getaway. I know I'll be makeing a holibob of it if the car is a long way away. I definitely want a 1.3. Any idea what I should be looking to spend on a 08 or 09 plate? Do you know where we stand with any residual guarantee. Do toyota honour it?

Quibbles, that car finding company was a bit cheeky! But it all worked out in the end I suppose :)

trustafox, Initially, I'll be glad just to have my sporty new car...the mods will come later hopefully, and then being a girl I just want pretty things, not that fussed about the engine. Just out of interest, does anyone actually declare any of the cosmetic changes they have made to the car? I know an insurer would take the opinion that it enhances the looks of the car making it more appealing to scummy, yobbo theives.

Anyway, back to workies for me, thanks everyone