Hello and thinking of taking the plunge.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PaulGee, Apr 11, 2015.

1. PaulGee

PaulGee Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Daihatsu Materia 1.5
    Honda CRV (MkII)
    Hi all,

I've been contemplating taking the plunge and buying a Copen.

I'm after a bit of advice on what model to go for 1.3 or 0.6 and what I should watch out for/common problems.

I used to own a Smart Roadster which almost financially brought me to my knees, so don't want to repeat the experience plus it took me two years to dry out ;)

All advice and warnings welcome.

Cheers

Paul

2. MattMacc123

MattMacc123 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi Paul :) go for it! they are brilliant cars. Lots of fun.
    I have a 1.3 model and its just brilliant. The boot is an okay size with the roof up, the interior is a nice place to be and its a good driver. It handles very well and accelerates brilliantly too because of its power to weight ratio. I havent had any issues *touch wood*. Unfortunately, i haven't owned a 0.6 so a lot of the other peeps on here will be able to help with that :)

In regards to the finance side it will return 45-50 MPG, insurance for me is slightly expensive as i'm a new driver with nearly just 2 years driving experience. The 1.3 also shares the same engine as the Toyota Yaris and i have found that parts are quite easy to come by and quite cheap when its service time :) there is quite a lot you can do to the interior and exterior of the car if you choose to do so such as new grills etc. I cant really think of any warnings, apart from check the underside of the car and around the wheel arches for slight rust if you go to view one, i got caught out with that slightly but managed to catch it in time without any issues and check the roof works okay before you purchase also. Ive loved mines since the minute i got it. =) Hope this helps!

3. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    This buyers guide will give you an idea of problems to look out for

https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1078&highlight=Buyers+guide

I have a 1.3 too and although they are more expensive to buy servicing is only once a year so running costs should be cheaper, also they are newer so hopefully you could pick one up without rust issues. If you can find them then it may be worth test driving both to see which you prefer :D

4. PaulGee

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Daihatsu Materia 1.5
    Honda CRV (MkII)
    Thanks for the swift replies and very useful information. All very much appreciated.

Sounds like the 1.3 is the one for us to investigate. We test drove a shabby 0.6 this morning just to see if I'd fit in it. Was pleasantly surprised that I did, as I test drove a 1.3 a few years back and remember it was a bit tight.

Are the interiors similar in dimensions or is the steering wheel smaller on the 0.6 compared to the 1.3? Is there an aftermarket smaller wheel for the 1.3, just thinking of my knees as I'm 6'2"

Cheers

Paul.

5. MattMacc123

MattMacc123 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi Paul =)

i think the dimensions are near identical if not the exact same on the 1.3 and 0.6. I believe various after market wheels should fit, i am 6"0 and manage to fit no problem at all. Seat is right back however! but still have enough room to move about and such :)

6. PaulGee

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Daihatsu Materia 1.5
    Honda CRV (MkII)
    Thanks Matt. Doing a bit of reading I think the version I tried had the leather pack and "believe" the steering wheel is slightly bigger. I could be talking nonsense but will go and try some for size...

7. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    i'd say go for the 1.3 - mine was a 660 and the turbo is the bit you'll constant be expecting to fail.
    other than that it's the buyers guide to peruse - remember to lift the carpet in the boot to check there's no damp rusting it from the inside where the jack is stored.
    I think the car is the most incredible fun and i'm still looking for another after my turbo one died due to a spark plug cracking.

8. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    apologies if I'm saying what you know already, but wrt knees and steering wheel; the wheel can be adjusted both for height and also forwards and back so you should be able to move it so it does not clash with your knees.

I have the 1.3 and I believe the gearing is different to the 0.6 so you don't have to rev the 1.3 so high when cruising on motorway etc

good luck with your search

9. PaulGee

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Daihatsu Materia 1.5
    Honda CRV (MkII)
    That's really useful to know. Still keeping my eyes peeled for one to come up locally for a test drive.