1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight bulbs keep blowing

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Silver Rollerskate, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Silver Rollerskate

Silver Rollerskate Copenworld Member

I have recently been having to keep changing the headlight bulbs.
    The other week I noticed that the right bulb had blown. I figured that I would replace both sides to ensure that I got an even level of brightness. I usually buy my bulbs from halford but decided to save a fortune and use eBay. Anyway new bulbs arrived and were fitted. Within 2 weeks the right bulb blew. Today the left bulb blew, so I've had to drive with fog lights on (sorry to anybody coming the other way).
    Does anyone else find they have to frequently change the same bulbs or is it just me? Is there an obvious problem that I have overlooked? Are cheap bulbs less durable?

2. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

thats a strange one! sounds like a simple electrical fault somewhere.
    Ive only replaced one brake light bulb in 9 years.

3. Silver Rollerskate

Silver Rollerskate Copenworld Member

I thought it might be too and hoped that someone might be able to tell me where to start looking. On the other hand if it was a electrical fault wouldn't the bulbs blow immediately, rather than at random times?

Apart from having to wait for delivery of new bulbs I hate the hassle of removing the wheel arches to replace the bulbs!

4. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I'd first check the battery voltage with the engine running above idle speed - should be less than 14.5 volts with all electrical loads (such as lights) switched off.

If the voltage is much higher, this is a problem with the voltage regulator built into the alternator.

It's often said not to touch the glass when changing the bulb. It's something to do with the natural oil of our skin reacting with the very high temperature of the glass in a halogen bulb. However, I'd doubt this to cause a failure within 2 weeks.

My guess would be the bulbs. Even if bought on ebay or Amazon , go for a well known brand. Personally, I use "Philips x-treme vision"

Hope this helps,
    Rex.

5. Nyhato

Nyhato Copenworld Newbie

It is mainly due to overflow of current. Just check the entire circuit

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. SamuelLowe

SamuelLowe Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    SX4 Sedan
    it is just an issue electrical issue no problem with bulbs.. Could be some problem with power suppy:think:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013