1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has the recession affected your motoring?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by copenworld, Oct 11, 2009.

Has the recession affected your motoring?

1. Yes, I drive a little less than I did before

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Yes, I'm a lot more careful and I drive much less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I'm broke, I don't drive or I sold the car

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Yes, I now drive even more to cheer myself up

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. No, it's made no difference

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  6. Other (please post details)

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Has the economic downturn made a difference to how much you use the car?

2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Post Copen, I probably dive a little more. It’s got to the ideal car for just ‘taking out for a spin’. Economical and fun fun fun.

Pre Copen, driving was a just a necessity, a function always for a purpose.

3. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

I voted " makes no difference" but when I think about it, since I bought the Copen, I drive a little more at weekends simply for the pleasure of driving such a fun car.

It remains to be seen how much I drive the Copen over the winter but I have a friend who has a open top Smart and he told me he has the roof open all year round as long as it isn't raining.

And thinking about it, I used to be a biker and rode all year round. But then I was a lot younger then :)

M.

4. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

It's my only car so no!

I have loved the better fuel consumption though :)

5. clive_copen

clive_copen Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Aygo
    Since buying Clive I don't think I've driven any more than previous. The only difference now is that on sunny days we can take off to the mountains or the sea with the top down, instead of being enclosed in an ordinary car. The mpg is pretty much the same for both my motors, so when dusting off the driving gloves, enjoyment is the deciding factor not cost.

6. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    An update - with Petrol £1.30 a gallon I do think about 'do I need to' a little more than when this poll was first started. Having said that, the weekend wouldn't be the same if I couldn't go for a spin - maybe shorter than it used to be. My insurance with Admiral went up 20% this year, but I still couldn't beat their quote.

If you haven't voted yet, what do you think?

Rex.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  7. apt_copen

apt_copen Copenworld Newbie

Recession

The recession and rediculous fuel prices is the very reason I bought my Copen in Dec 2010. Before I was driving a Lexus IS200. Although I loved that car the fuel consumption with a 6 cyl engine around town was aweful!
    The way I look at it, the Copen makes sense as a daily driver in this day and age. It's pretty frugal on fuel, shouldn't let you down mechanically as is great fun at a competitive price for what it is.
    Who could ask for more (except a fraction more road clearance for speed bumps and slightly softer ride)?

Andrew

8. Jezza

Jezza Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen and Hijet
    I totally agree with APT-copen, the recession caused me to purchase mine also, its a small sporty fun car and i figured if everything goes downhill economy wise at least the car will make me smile even if fuel prices make me cry:):)

9. neill70

neill70 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    impreza wrx
    arosa sport
    yamaha ybr 125 custom
    as well as the copen i have a scooby which only manages 23mpg at best and needs to run on super, so i find myself trying to use it less for commuting now petrol is through the roof, thankfully i have a 125 cruiser bike which does an easy 75mpg i use when its not raining too much.

just out of interest i cant seem to get anywhere near the supposed 45mpg average for the copen no matter how i drive it how does everyone else do?

10. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

Yes, things have got even tougher. I now think about driving which is what the government want and what we should all do anyway.

I still think the Copen is a good choice - economical, fun and great to drive.

And as for mpg, I get about 47mpg, but I drive gently most of the time, with the odd mile or two pushing it on winding country roads for the fun of it.

M.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet Copenworld Newbie

Other

We voted other because we decided to get rid of our 2.0 litre 206cc, after receiving this years insurance renewal, and get something cheaper to run.

So we are now the proud owners of a 2008 silver Copen.

12. MultiplexMan

MultiplexMan Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    Not really. I need to drive a car to get around due to my location. I always planned my trips in the past so nothing much has changed.

The Copen I drive more regularly now as it puts a smile on my face :)

I'm actually taking more time to enjoy the "things" I have, rather than just collecting them...:eek:

13. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

not in a recession in australia, but fuel might be less here than UK or europe = still do my usual drives so not noticing the cost at the moment (i only us 98 premium which is $1.50 a litre.