Has anyone replaced a chain?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by missaoife, Mar 27, 2014.

1. missaoife

missaoife Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    My Copen is having problem accelerating and the engine is very noisy. I had the turbo replaced 7K miles ago and it does not feel like the same problem. Could it be the chain?
    If so, does the engine have to be taken apart to replace?
    Help!!

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Hello from Dublin, from a former Galwegian!

What milage is on your Copen? It's highly unlikely that the chain is wonky, as they are designed to outlive the car. Replacing it should be as easy or difficult as replacing a timing belt.

3. missaoife

Car(s):
    Copen
    It has 55K miles on it. However, im not very clever and didnt realise it was low on oil which may have done something to the chain!

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I imagine the turbo went due to lack of oil, yeah? Surely the mechanic would have noticed the noise - who did you go to down there?

5. missaoife

Car(s):
    Copen
    I go to a friend of mine as most if not all garages won't touch my copen! Its too small and scary for them. I'm just afraid now that its both chain and turbo! Hoping it's just the chain or else is $$$ again!

6. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Patsy Farrell's garage down behind Roaches might be able to help - 091 563 881 - at the very least, he should be able to tell you what the issue is.

Rafferty's was an old Daihatsu garage - http://www.tomrafterycarsales.ie/contact-us.html - their lads might be of help as well.

7. bibiscia

bibiscia Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen
    I have changed timing chain ,in daihatsu italy and now ,my copen is ok,no more noise and go very fast.

8. bibiscia

Car(s):
    copen
    900 euro is the cost of timing chain kit ,change

9. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Is that just the chain kit, or is that including labour? At €900 I would imagine parts and labour.

I would be interested in finding out what the kit cost was, and the man hours involved. This gives others (and yourself over time) an ideal of the total cost as labour prices can fluctuate wildly.

10. bibiscia

Car(s):
    copen
    900€ is the total cost ,spare parts and labour ,only timing chain kit cost is 240€ for 0,7 engine,and occour 13 working hours for change it.

11. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Thirteen hours seems an excessive amount of time to change the chain. I think the mechanic was very laid back. Comatose from the sound of it.:)

12. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I was just thinking the same thing. 4 hours sounds more like a reasonable figure assuming you know what to do to get at the same thing.

13. bibiscia

Car(s):
    copen
    the time schedule Daihatsu, fixed working time to change the chain timing kit.For to change the chain, you have to disassemble the entire front of the copen, remove the valve cover and oil pan, remove the intercooler. restore 'oil and water and adjust the tappets and re-gas the air conditioning ...................... if you can find a mechanic to do it in 4 hours. in england .......... come next time!! Saluti dalla bella e piena di sole,Italia ..... ciaooo

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  14. missaoife

Car(s):
    Copen
    The Daihatsu dealer book recommends 10 hours of labour for a chain change.
    It involves taking the engine apart apparently!
    I had the oil changed and had about 400miles when the power seemed to go. I have not got my car fixed yet as am worried that the chain will be changed out and that the power will still be gone when its back up and running.

15. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Do you have access to the book in digital format? It would be great to see what other servicing takes in hours - clutch, turbo, exhaust, etc.

16. missaoife

Car(s):
    Copen
    I don't have access to the digital manual. It was a chap from the Belfast daihatsu dealer that told me over the phone.
    My car is in serious trouble have to replace everything!
    The chain, turbo, all the belts, brake discs and pads and now I'm looking for a cam shaft sprocket!
    anyone know of a parts dealer in japan as I need it urgently as the car is dismantled in a garage and taking up their space!
    :-((

17. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Jesse Streeter is a Jap importer. Send him on the part numbers or yahoo auction pages - you need to give him the EXACT numbers or auction.

Maybe cut your losses? Your reg isn't 04-D-8xx, is it?

18. bibiscia

Car(s):
    copen
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Dumpty likes this.