1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Daidat, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Daidat

Daidat Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo Domino
    Hi all,
    I actually joined this forum last June but have only just got round to posting. During the time in between, my Copen has mostly left my possession. It was always a fairly horrible example, but it cost me virtually nothing to start with, and had low mileage, so I figured I'd enjoy it while it lasted.

Anyway, last Autumn one of the rear shock mounts tore out of the chassis thanks to some very shoddy crash damage repair in the past and, given the generally decrepit, wobbly, crusty state of the thing, it went off to the scrapyard minus its engine and gearbox. I couldn't bring myself to scrap the only good bit of it as it had only done 50,000 miles and ran great.

And then I won an '87 Domino on ebay for £250. You can guess what happens next. That's right, the Domino is now no longer an 850cc 3 pot. The JB-DET is a very tight fit in the Domino and the conversion so far has been far from straightforward (like the Domino originally having a cable gear change!) but I think the end result should be fun, given that the Domino is over 200kg lighter than a Copen!

Here's the Domino when I got it...

DSC_2178.JPG

...and after a session with a clay and some compound. Don't let looks deceive you... it's tidy on the top but rotten as hell underneath! Nothing that some quality time with the welder can't fix...

DSC07494.JPG

Here's the JB-DET installed. It's about 2mm from the left hand chassis leg (hammer time!) and there's just enough room to slide the fan belt in at the other end. I'm going to have to get creative to stop the turbo from melting the grille!

DSC07506.JPG
    Well, there it is. There's still work left to do. I have yet to drop the tank and install a Copen pump assembly and I need to run a larger fuel line to the front as the original is tiny. I have one driveshaft left to shorten and I need to sort a FMIC for it. The rest is pretty much done now. I shall no doubt be posing a few Copen questions and maybe a few details of the conversion if anyone is interested.

Cheers!
    Ed

2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Good project.

3. ADSL59

ADSL59 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    R4
    Good project. Good luck

4. Funksterhardtop

Funksterhardtop Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    07 Copen
    Nice job , lots of work but i love different .