1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from Wiltshire!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Grumpytvr, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Grumpytvr

Grumpytvr Copenworld Newbie

Hello Everyone

I've joined the forum as my wife has owned a Red Copen Vivid 660cc called George for the past 8 years and loves it! So much so that it's done 96k miles and is still going strong!

It's always been serviced by Daihatsu dealers and more recentlly by a trusted local garage but recent events have seen me start to service and maintain it myself. So I thought joining the forum would be a good idea!

I did an oil and filter change last weekend, which was a challenge but turned out ok with the right tools and a filter small enough to fit through the engine mount.

Whilst working on the car I noticed some damage to the air box, on closer inspection the air intake has been cut off and glued back on very badly. so badly that it fell off when I checked the condition of the air filter! It looks like some time ago someone had removed the air box in an attempt to get at the oil filter. The trouble is that the air box won't come out without taking the bumper off so to save time it looks like its been bodged by cutting it at the air intake. Repairing it is possible, but I'd prefer to replace it.

Trying to find a replacement has proved interesting. Daihatsu want silly money for the whole air box assembly including the top, bottom and new filter (I only need the bottom part). I've tried on line breakers and had no response. I wondered if anyone knew of any other source for the lower half of the air box? Was it used in another Daihatsu model? Perhaps someone who posts here has a spare one they'd like to sell?

I also noticed that some forum members have fitted induction kits, which I may consider if cheaper than replacing the original. For those who have fitted an induction kit has it made much difference to your insurance? I'm not fussed in any increase in power / performance, my better half is more than happy with how it performs at the moment!

Any help / advice appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Tom, Welcome to Copenworld,
    Member Quartz found these Copens being broken.
    http://www.partshark.co.uk/used-car-parts-breaking-vehicles/daihatsu/copen/

I have an induction kit on my copen. Over the standard setup there is a noticeable willingness to rev. However you do get a loud induction roar noise.
    Which isn't everyone's cup of tea. My kit was imported from Japan, can' t remember the exact cost but was around £160. (Sorry I'm keeping my standard air filter parts).
    My insurance company didn't seem too bothered by me fitting the induction kit.

I have seen pictures of home made kits, but haven't seen a how to write-up.

3. Grumpytvr

Hi Adam

Thanks for the rapid response! Thanks for the link also, I tried using partsshark over the weekend and sent requests for parts off all of those cars and none of the breakers have responded!

Believe it or not, your induction kit is less than daihatsu want for a new air box. They want £175 plus VAT!!!

I think I may investigate the home made induction kit option. I've seen your post with the snazzy 3D drawing, would it be possible to get hold of a 2D copy in DWG format so I've got a good idea what size the filter is?

Thanks for your help

Tom

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Tom,
    I'm off work with Bronchitis at the moment. Once I'm back, I'll sort some drawings out for you.

Those breakers are useless. They didn't respond to my messages either. I tried phoning them. They give you a calling reference number, then were supposed to phone me back once they had checked they had the part.
    I had to phone them back, as two days later I hadn't heard anything.

5. Grumpytvr

Hi Adam

Sorry to hear of your ailment, hope you get better soon. No rush on the drawings at all.

I think I'll glue the old air box back together in the mean time and look at replacing the lot with an induction kit once I've sourced all the bits.

If I find any other copens being broken I'll let everyone know. - after I've got the air box of course!!