1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from Switzerland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by inhinias, May 14, 2020.

1. inhinias

inhinias Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Pearl 1.3
    Skoda Fabia III
    Hi Everyone, a new Copen owner here!
    Kinda odd buying one at the start of a pandemic but I got offered to leave it with the seller till things have cooled down (which happened to be last week around here).
    Sadly the fun didn't really last very long cause as soon as I went on the motorway for the first time I got a warning light. P1346 which means the VVT is dead but I think this isn't the real issue as I can clearly hear a difference in the exhaust note at 4'000 rpm.
    So after a trip to the local Toyota mechanic revealed that the timing chain is a bit loose :heartbreak:
    Probably because it got a bit longer over time.
    I hope I am able to repair it in the coming weeks. Parts are on the way. If anyone has some good info on this matter I'll appreciate it.
    I know it may not be the most economical idea to fix it, but since its the Pearl model (Of which only 30 exist) I kinda don't want to leave it in a defect state.

Some Pics:
    (I hope this works as I'm not really familiar with posting to forums!)
    1.jpg 20.jpg

TriVille and AFR0N1 like this.
  2. DavidM

DavidM Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 L880K
    gorgeous car! love the pinstripe. I would definitely fix it.

inhinias likes this.
  3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    That’s a beautiful car.

I’m no mechanic, but these engines are pretty bombproof across the Toyota range - particularly as they are chain driven and, I believe are non-interference engines (so if it breaks the pistons don’t hit the valves).

A quick search of the Yaris forums suggests that it may be a cam or crank sensor fault, which would probably be cheaper and easier than replacing the timing.

How many Kim’s has the car done and what’s the service history like ?

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Grüetzi!

What is the difference on the pearl models, just the pinstripe stickers and the black alloys?

Rob, I am pretty sure these K3-VE are interference engines, they will break if the chain snaps. You will probably have to remove the engine to get to the timing chain, so while you're at it, you can also change everything else that might need fixing sooner or later - a new clutch, alternator, water pump etc.

5. inhinias

inhinias Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Pearl 1.3
    Skoda Fabia III
    Some more details:
    Year: 2010
    Engine: K3-VE
    KM: 100k
    Regular Service around every 20k KM.

6. Funksterhardtop

Funksterhardtop Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    07 Copen
    Hi Loving the pin stripe and black wheels , I hope you get it sorted .