1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from Singapore

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by joeleow, Oct 31, 2013.

1. joeleow

joeleow Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen (red) and Lexus IS250 (white)
    Hello... I am actively looking for a second car so that my wife can drive to work herself and hopefully get something that I can toy around with too. Copen is top on my list due to its huge fun factor and low cost.

I have tested a few pre-loved ones but I am really concerned about the lifespan of the turbo and getting replacement parts if I wanna keep it for the long term.

Hope to make a decision soon and start enjoying the topless ride!

cheers
    Joseph

;)

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Joseph, welcome to Copenworld.
    Look for good service history. That way you'll get a well looked after turbo.

3. CA49000

CA49000 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    '00 Honda Ferio SiR (Track Car)
    '06 Daihatsu Copen (Daily)
    '10 Daihatsu Sirion 1.5 Sport (Family Car)
    Welcome Joseph. With a Copen you can't go wrong. Don't be surprised if you end up using it more.

4. joeleow

Car(s):
    Thanks for your replies guys! Yes, I would probably let the wife drive the other safer car while I "suffer" in the smaller car. :D:D:D

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  6. CA49000

CA49000 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    '00 Honda Ferio SiR (Track Car)
    '06 Daihatsu Copen (Daily)
    '10 Daihatsu Sirion 1.5 Sport (Family Car)
    :eek: Good to know it's a safe car

7. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Adam, that wasn't your car was it you lent them for the day? Thinking they meant an MOT test!! :eek:

Notice the copen's wheels didn't rotate. So was the handbrake on and in gear to stop the front ones? I wonder how much less damage would occur with it free to roll? probably not much.

Also the roof was down, having that in the boot does it provide more protection than an empty boot?

But was the fuel cap damaged!!

8. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    :D You are completely potty.

The sticker on the fuel cap was slightly creased, but other than that no damage.:)

Being serious though that is a good point about the roof in the boot. I'd like to see the same test with the roof up.

9. joeleow

Car(s):
    wow... gives me some peace of mind... what if the crash comes from the sides?

i am seriously thinking of replacing the steering wheel with a vintage one... thus losing the airbag... ;)

10. joeleow

Car(s):
  11. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  12. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I wonder if there are any legal or insurance implications by removing the steering wheel and fitting a non-airbag wheel?

13. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Looking at that sites gallery I really like the look of this car.

[​IMG]

14. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    did you notice though I actually refrained from asking how much more protection would there have been with an energy absorbing bag of sand in the boot! ;) oh damn I've just mentioned it :rolleyes:

phew, so any of you out there that may be involved in a bang up the rear, then be comforted in the knowledge that the expensive fuel cap cover you invested in will still be fully functional and looking wonderful. :) Mind you, the rest of the car will be buggered! :-((

I want to know if these accidents affect the dummies' no claim discount? :think:

15. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Some nice other car looks they've made from the Copen to give vintage feel. I don't think the Kopen will be able to do that.

16. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Phew, I'm glad you never mentioned the sand there, that would have really annoyed me.
    It was Homebase sand anyway which doesn't have the impact absorbing qualities of B&Q sand? Wickes sand is the worst in a rear end shunt, I think it's the bag they put it in, no thickness, easily burst.
    There is a campsite in the UK called sandy balls (google it) and if I had been involved in a rear end shunt that day, sandy balls would have been my fate. :eek:

17. joeleow

Car(s):
    Thanks Adamn! I have been snooping around this website for awhile... true he got most of his stuff from here... but the crown jewel (the head unit/sound system) seems to be customised... that piece really changed the interior look totally...

18. opboy

opboy Copenworld Newbie

Hi Jospeh,
    try www.copensg.com . It is the Singapore copen forum. It may not be as active before but you can register and read up some of the tips for copen in SG. Hope it helps.