Great start to the week

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Number6, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Drivers side window was smashed. Don't think anything was taken, but I haven't had a proper look yet.

Very annoyed by the whole situation, particularly as I have been working non-stop for the past week (including the weekend) and today was my day off. I would like to say thank you very much to the two random people who passed by and helped sweep up the glass.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Photos of the damage are on Daihatsu Copen Public Group | Facebook

Dropping her down to the mechanic tomorrow, he has a glass guy who might be able to help. Will also get an oil change, and probably a few other things done since she'll be up on the ramp. I hope he'll let me keep her in his lockup until the glass is replaced (either his guy or I get a replacement from Jessie), as I'd rather not keep her in the underground / outside with a plastic bin bag keeping the water out. I've taken everything except the Gummi out of the car, including the battery.

3. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Sorry to hear this Nick, there really are some utter bastards about. I wish you all the luck possible in getting it sorted.

4. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Really sorry to hear this, hope all fixed up soon

5. Toozalii

Toozalii Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Champagne Gold
    Horrible thing to happen Number6!!!

Might be worth contacting some of your local windscreen companies as I have a branch of National Winscreens near my workshop who mentioned that the Copen Winscreen was the same as two other car makes, so hopefully the side windows are also similar to other makes.

Let us all know how you get on with the repairs.

6. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    bad:( hope your insurance will pay for it.

not easy to change.

7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    How unfortunate!
    Maybe you can get a used replacement from the wreckers to keep the costs down, should insurance not pay for it

My only question is:

8. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Insurance excess (In OZ at least) is probably more than the cost of the window so may not be worth claiming.

9. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Thanks folks - it's annoying, but shit happens. She's down at the mechanics lockup now, waiting for glass. The glass guy my mechanic uses can't get a replacement, so it'll be a second hand or direct from Daihatsu replacement via Jessie. A breaker did reply to my request, though, so there's that option as well.

I'm not going to claim off insurance - the cost of increased premiums isn't worth it. Even though I'm not "at fault", a claim will affect my no-claims bonus. Insurance in Ireland has SHOT up recently, by an obscene amount, so I'll absorb the cost myself instead of looking the NCB.

A very nice chap on the Copen FB group offered me one he has for the cost of postage - sent along a few bob for drinking money as well :)

My current theory for "why" it happened is due to it being halloween and people being drunk. There wasn't a rock, banger, or anything like that nearby so I suspect someone fell into it whilst drunk.

10. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    You so don't deserve this Nick - you're such an integral part of Copenworld and your You Tube vids have been so helpful to folks like me. As you say, "shit happens" and it's no respecter of person/vehicle/what's just gone down today and I hope that she's all as good as new real soon.

Many commiserations from all us Copenistas. :(:punch::mad:

11. miller

miller Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Evo 1RS, E28 M535i
    Jealousy at its finest....hope it all comes back together soon.

12. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    A HUGE thank you to Marco from the Facebook group. He sent on replacement glass, and I finally got ScootyPuff back from the mechanic today. She's never been happier.

13. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Not the wife's car, which is at the body shop but mine on Saturday Grrr

14. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

15. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Where do you live? :D Seems to be dangerous