1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glove Compartment Light

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by boxingday09, Oct 3, 2011.

1. boxingday09

boxingday09 Copenworld Newbie

Hi all,
    We just became the proud owners of a '09 660 Copen. Loving the Ride!
    Just one silly question... is there supposed to a light for the glove compartment? Ours does not light up when the compartment is opened. In fact, we can't even see the bulb!

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Sorry, no light in the glove box. Not in the boot either.

I have read somewhere where someone had fitted one in the glove box & in the boot.

You could buy an accessory that lit the foot well.

3. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Light in the glove box and boot, interesting. I think I'll have a look at that one.

Rex.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    From what I remeber Rex, they used a strip light from Ikea that fit into wardrobes. They came with switches that could be mounted so when the boot lid is closed the light goes off. Like a fridge. :D

Personally I was going to buy those small round lights that you press to turn on. Powered by AAA batteries. Mount one in the boot, press it when you need light. Simplez. The only trouble is, if you forget to turn it off.
    There are motion sensing lights too, but I guess with the partion thing wobbling about in the boot, it would always be on.

5. boxingday09

Rex,
    waiting for your good news!

6. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    It's the switch that is the interesting bit. But I'm wondering for the glove box, if I use an LED strip, maybe it can be wired to either the the courtesy light or ACC terminal of the ignition switch. - Okay thats only 1/2 a job, I know....

7. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Job done

Like my new glove box light??
    [​IMG]

How did I do it?
    Well with lights from Ikea (thanks Adam for the tip) and a magnetic 'burglar alarm' type switch. Cost me about £15, but that includes two more led light strips for use in the boot!

I took some more photos so I'll do a write up shortly as a new thread.

Rex.

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Nice work Rex. Looking forward to the write up. I might give a go. :D

9. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    The write up is HERE

Rex.

10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Best how to I've seen in a long time. Nice & clear. Excellent. Looking forward to the boot version.

11. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I hoped the boot would be easy, as there are many 'boot closed' switches on the car. I was hoping to use an existing switch, but after pondering over the the circuit diagrams it looks like the Japanese switch zero volts, not 12V. - This makes it awkward as could affect the funtion by connecting into it. So I think the only solution is to mount another switch somewhere.

I'll sleep on it....

Rex.

12. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Just to say, I've just finished the light in the boot and even if I say so myself, its a good solution. Write up coming very soon...
    In the mean time, make sure you pop into IKEA and get those 'LEDBERG' light strips. For less than £10 for three strips, I think they are a bargin!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  13. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Boot light write-up HERE.

14. boxingday09

hi rex.
    i would propose the following for folks without a workshop :p
    try ikea dioder led drawer lights, battery operated. just tape it where Rex mounted it. and viola - no drilling... 20 hrs, lights up 15s after opening, 5s after closing.. will check it out when i get it and update here.. :)

15. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yes, I did see those in Ikea and considered them as an easy option, but there may be a problem.....

I understand they have a sensor that detects changes in light, and then it operate as you describe. I'm thinking they need external light to activate them....
    So I guess they won't work if you open your boot or glove box in the dark because there is no change in the light level.

I could be wrong - so if you try some please let us know.

Rex.

16. boxingday09

hey!
    i bought the battery operated DIODER!
    it works by IR i believe. There is an emitter and receiver at one end (one clear LED and a black LED). So it should be working my proximity. I tested with it in the glove compartment last night. It can sit pretty on the back of the glove compartment (just below the kink) and the proximity sensor will fire accordingly when closed or opened. That may not be the right place to fix it though if your glove compartment is currently filled to the brim. Will explore putting it on the ceiling of the glove compartment later today after i buy the 3M easy off valcros for fixing the LED. that will provide ease when changing batteries (after 20hrs of light) by allowing me to remove the entire piece from the glove compartment and sticking it back when i am done with the battery change. Pictures to follow, promise!

17. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Well done. Another solution.

Rex.

18. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Sounds good, looking forward to the pictures.
    Does it not activate by accident from things wobbling about in the gloove box?

19. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Any pictures yet?