1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glove box won't open help please

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Thenotsocrazycatlady, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Thenotsocrazycatlady

Thenotsocrazycatlady Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat 126 Copen1.3 grey
    I Put a piece of paper in my glove box and when I went to get it out the glove box wouldn't open. It wasn't locked and I have tried and tried but I think the catch must be broken. Does any one know how I can take the glove box apart so that I can fix it. I had to force one edge to get my paperwork out so one side is now totally unhinged (as am I). I don't want to force it and break it further, I've already dented the edge of the casing any help gratefully received. Unfortunately handbook is in glovebox too many thanks

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    The glove box does not have hinges on the back side, there are just two plastic pegs that hook into the surrounding bezel. I would not know of a way to take apart the rest of the dash. You could try to reach up from the footwell...

Have any pictures maybe?

I think if nothing helps it would be cheapest to break the glove box and buy a new one than to damage the dashboard trying to get it out

3. Thenotsocrazycatlady

Thenotsocrazycatlady Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat 126 Copen1.3 grey
    Thank you, I fear you may be right, am annoyed that I have slight indents on my dashboard now where I had to prise it open to get my paperwork out. Only problem will be that a replacement might not be lockable unless I get the key with it. Loving my Copen though. Super fun car to drive.

4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Once you get the glovebox open, you can take the existing key barrel out and put it into the new one.