Getting gas bonnet struts - won't ship from Japan!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Joy, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Joy

Joy Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2005 Copen L800K Manual 660 cc - a right proper one
    Pardon my French, but FFS!!! Does anyone have an idea how to get around this?

Hi,
    This is Buyee Customer Support Team. Thank you for using our service.

Package[K1750060181]:

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Kindly note that the item is a damper to hold the hood of car.

However, the item works like suspension, which contains air or spring inside the item. Therefore, it is a prohibited item for international shipping by the Aviation law.

Kindly note that the Aviation law also suits for seamail shipping. Therefore, we are not able to ship the package internationally even by sea.

We are afraid that we only have the following options to offer to our users:

Ⅰ. Ship your item to a domestic (Japanese) address.

Ⅱ. Discard your item

Notice:
    ※Please note that Buyee is unable to return the item to the seller.
    ※If you would like to discard your item, the remaining Shipping Costs needs to complete the payment. (e.g. Domestic Shipping Fee)
    ※If you wish to choose option Ⅰ, please contact the recipient and ask for the permission before you request for the domestic shipping.
    Without the recipient's permission, the package may be sent back to our warehouse.

Once again we are sorry for the inconvenience, your kind understanding would be appreciated.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
    Tim
    Buyee Customer Support

BonnetStruts.jpg

2. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    That's annoying...

3. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Maybe send an email to jesse streeter he might be able to help

4. Joy

Joy Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Brilliant! Thanks mate, I will do so straightaway!

5. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    They're not actually prohibited, but they need to be properly labelled and packaged by someone with an IATA qualification to ship Dangerous Goods, I don't have access to an IATA shipping manual to find out the proper warning labels ect but any trained Dangerous Goods Consignor will be able to look them up.

It MAY be:-

UN1066
    Nitrogen, Compressed
    Non-flammable Gas

But what you really need is someone in Japan who can read the safety sheet for the product and check it for sure.

I used to work as one, shipping canisters of various gases, including flammable, explosive and caustic, by air, land and sea, but our Hong Kong branch handled Japan so haven't actually shipped there myself. We used FedEx and DHL to ship internationally by Air so I know for a fact they have qualified staff to check them during shipping, whether they'd actually do the labelling and declarations for you I don't know.

6. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Any dangerous goods has to be packed, labelled with hazard stickers and the exact quantities of hazardous substances by UN number, dangerous goods declaration, hazard forms and customs form, all of which has to be done by IATA qualified guy and signed off on.

Anyone you get to ship it, unless they're an actual dangerous goods shipper, will need to pass it to one anyway, so why not try asking them direct? I'm sure FedEx at least has a New Zealand branch, maybe TNT /DHL I dunno, but if you speak to your local branch they might be able to help. Their Japanese branch will have IATA qualified shippers, because everybody involved in transporting dangerous goods has to have one, to pack it, label it, drive the van with it in, fly the plane with it on, unload it. If you fart near some dangerous goods IATA will descend and demand you get certified for it.

7. Joy

Joy Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    I sent Buyee an email on 30 June accepting their offer to ship to a Japanese domestic address (Sakura_Car aka Ozaki Trading in Tokyo) hopefully able to ship - and am awaiting confirmation from Buyee that this has actually been done. So far, nothing but crickets. I can't say Buyee is completely useless, they got me a Copen T shirt from Yahoo auctions. But, I would not deal with them again if there were any other option.

8. MultiplexMan

MultiplexMan Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    I tried to get a set of shocks via Jesse. That was the last I transaction I ever attempted with him. He had been great with numerous previous orders. Not sure what had changed.

I am getting a list of items together and sent to Korea. I have no issue shipping from Korea to Australia. Crazy, but a lot easier that getting auto parts from Japan direct to Australia.

For some reason I don't have a problem with motorcycle parts from Japan. I was able to get Ohlins motorcycle shocks airmailed in without issue?!

9. marnob

marnob Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    I feel you..the rules seem to change depending on who you talk to. Its a shame all this red tape is around these days.
    Gotta watch Buyee though. I am surprised they didn't block it in the first place. Normally do.

10. Joy

Joy Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Yes, I would never deal with Buyee again. So far have only had good experiences with Jesse Streeter, his communications are clear, he is honest and efficient.

PS: I got the gas struts to NZ, minus the brackets needed to install them (honestly, nothing can match Japanese fine print). So will have to fabricate my own brackets as D-Sport will not sell me brackets! I have done business with Thailand, China, India, Russia, never any problems. Everything is extremely difficult in Japan, they seem to get great satisfaction from saying no!

11. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    I haven't dealt with Buyee. I use them for searching items.
    I have though used Jesse. No problems with him so far. The freight tends to be a bit higher.
    I have also used Rakuten. A bit more expensive but efficient.
    I used to have a private freight company in Japan that I used to ship through for a number of years. They were great and cheap but have since closed down unfortunately.
    My Ex wife is Japanese so that of course helps a lot to stop that sort of thing happening for me.
    You have to watch the payments also as Japanese Banks charge for deposits, normally 1000Yen, so you need to add that onto the transfer.
    Yes lots of rules and regulations but extremely efficient in areas like freight. Put the Aust Post to shame big time.
    I always wanted some nice struts and shocks but gave it a miss in the end. To expensive to send by Air and wondered at the problems.
    I figured if I ended up going there again I would bring them back myself.

12. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Just wondering, are you getting Copen parts from Korea to Aust?

13. MultiplexMan

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    ^I'll be sending tyres during my next trip over. I noticed the local Mart (similar to K-Mart, smaller than Cosco) had a range of good quality tyres (Bridgestone, Toyo) in exactly our size for <AUD100 a piece. They must be common to a local car... We are severely limited in QUALITY tyre options locally.

14. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I better not tell you we can get Bridgestone Potenza RE040 165/50 r15 for 48 Euro a piece and Nankang Semislicks for 59 :D

15. MultiplexMan

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    I know. Unfortunately the Copen is the only car in Australia (and it is discontinued) that used that tyre size. I tried ordering tyres from the EU but shipping was crazy expensive.

Tyre options in Japan are fantastic - as you'd expect. So many brands, versions, compounds - and their prices are super.

16. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Copen is the only car in Germany that uses 165/50 as well I think, its a very unusual size. Maybe we are just lucky here :D