Getting a new key cut

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Tony, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Yellow Juke Tekna & 2006 silver Copen.
    Hi guys,
    Day 7 of my Copen ownership and I've driven it for only the second time. I can't stop smiling when I'm behind the wheel.
    So, I read a thread on here and went to Timpsons on Monday and got a key programmed and cut. It opened the door and that was it. Next day I got a second one cut and exactly the same thing. Door opens, but doesn't lock and car won't start. Took it to a second Timpsons that I could park outside and, in the end, they cut three further keys. Key 4 opened and locked the car and started once. Only once. He took it back to 'refine' it but in the end it didn't work. Key 5 just opened the door and then they gave up. They think their keys are a fraction too short. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Tony

2. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Mine works fine from Timpsons, I hadn't tried it in the door but I just went out and made sure.
    In case they're getting the wrong blank mine is branded JMA Spain on one side and on the other marked DAI-1.P1
    If they've changed suppliers or something and don't have the same key blanks anymore, you could buy your own blank key and get it cut and programmed.

Well, cut, did you keep one of the faulty keys? The actual chip is probably fine since it seems to be a mechanical problem.

Tony likes this.
  3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Can you post a picture of your original key and any associated fobs. You may have a secondary Cobra unit fitted.

Tony likes this.
  4. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Cheers Vin. They did let me keep one of the keys so I'll check it when I get home on Sunday.

5. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Many thanks for the reply. I'll post the picture on Sunday.

6. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    So here's my key and two of the five that were cut .I'm returning one for a refund and they let me keep one that unlocks the door but doesn't do anything else. Timpsons said they would order an original Daihatsu key and ring me but I don't think that's going to be too easy to do. Any thoughts guys? 20180325_192024.jpg

7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Why not get one at the dealership? Expensive, I know, but less hassle :D

8. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Thanks for replying Salieri. I didn't realise the old dealerships still did them. My nearest is a fair trek away in Surrey but may have to give them a ring at some point.

9. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Are those JMA keys marked DAI-1.P1 on the other side Tony as my working copy is? There are what I found listed as the correct replacements from various makes:-

• Silca - DH4RT4
    • Keyline - DAI1STK3
    • JMA - TP07DAI-1.P1
    • Curtis - 881528

The Surrey dealership might be willing to order (if they don't have it in stock) and mail you the blank if you ask, rather than driving there.

Tony likes this.
  10. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Cheers Vin. Yes, one of the JMA keys does have that reference. Thanks for the info.

11. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I’m not sure if this will move you along much but try unlocking the car with the remote key fob and then try to start the car with your best Timpsons key within 10 seconds. It may be the immobiliser is linked to the fob rather than they key (which is how mine works).

12. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Cheers. I'll give it a try at the weekend.