1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearbox oil change turbo version

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by shane, Oct 1, 2017.

1. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    F2_gear_oil.png
    Hi Everyone

I have obtained 3L of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 gearbox oil. I was hoping to find a guide for doing a gearbox oil change for the turbo version of the Copen, but all I can see are the instructions for the 1.3 version.

Have anyone done this as a DIY job? What issues did you find getting it done?

Thanks

Shane

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    Easy way.... fast instructions

1. go to a pit

2. Left bend with car lift a little bit.

3.turn screw on top of gearbox

4.screw down at the bottom and drain oil. wait 5 minutes.

5.screw down again. i had used the old gasket.

6. lift trunk from the new oelbottle and carefully enter it between gearbox and axle..really small to get it between.

7. fill it up by pressing the can. if you can not use the complete can , try the next one and fill them up together later in a older can example first one in 1/2 empty second..

8. fill third can until overflow. close upper screw. I had use the old gasket.

9. lower car lift.

9. ready and take a bier .

Tassie Devil and shane like this.
  3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    If the godly creator of this forum would open up the resources section for everyone, I would have posted a guide :D
    I think, regardless whether its a K3-VE or JB-DET engine, the gearbox is the same, so it should be the same.
    Its really easy, even more so if you have a lift/pit

I have marked the fill and drain bolt, which you can reach when removing the front left wheel, please check if its the same on your car. Just make sure the car is level when you fill it up. You should need about 2L of oil. Castrol Syntrans is a good choice.

The best advice I can give you is: Open the fill plug first :D

Attached Files:

shane likes this.
  4. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    @phil..shows little rusty your tiny car, cries for clean me up..:D

5. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    Excellent!

I wasn't sure if it was different for the turbo. I'm pretty confident I can get this done now.

I bought one of these...

50/100/150mL Plastic Reusable Syringe PZor Measuring Nutrient Sterile + Tube OK | eBay

150ml - it comes with a length of plastic tube, which I might not need. If all else fails, this will allow me to refill it without too much messing about.

That's my Tuesday sorted if it doesn't rain...

Thanks for your replies both of you.

Shane

6. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    quite a easy job, hope we could help you with it..:) maybe 1/2 hour..for me..and think about rusty things , when you look at it...:blush:

Home

shane likes this.
  7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Already rust proofed my car in the meantime, the picture I posted is from 2014 or so.

I did not need a syringe, I just popped out the straw from the castrol bottle and I could fill it up using the bottle.

shane likes this.
  8. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    Done...

I got 2.5L out, but there is no way to get over 2L back in. I reckon I might be 100ml short of two litres.

I ended up having to use my big syringe because the only way I could be sure the car was level was to put the wheel back on and get to the filler by reaching underneath and behind the wheel. This allowed me to get the last 150ml in.

My feeling is that the gearbox may have been overfilled - maybe during an earlier service or from new. The oil that came out was a bit discoloured, but not dramatically so.

I'm surprised by the difference it has made. I used to get a bit of gear whine in 2nd gear - that's gone; and the whole thing sounds and feels slicker. I'm a happy man.

Thanks for your advice

9. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    :speechless:2. Left bend with car lift a little bit. thats what i wrote ....if the tiny car is on level , you cant get more then 2 liters in..factory is 2,25 liters..

10. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Might be a good idea to check the level again after it's been for a bit of drive.

11. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    It's a puzzle. I had the wheel on left lock to get to the filler. With the car lifted from the middle front I couldn't get anywhere near 2L. Dropped down and level, I could get 150ml more in.

Are you saying I need to lift it on the left side so the left side is lifted, and the right side down on it's wheels? Actually, that makes sense now - I mis-read it before. I'll have a look over the weekend. I will need to get the aluminium filler screw washers.

12. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    lift it up left front side and let wheels right side down. remove left front wheel, if you have no pit.
    i havent used new washers since years..turn around these on the screws after some times of use.( scottish way):D no oil drops ever..

shane likes this.
  13. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    It's gotta be full.

I lifted the right side and tried to get some more in and just ended up with a puddle underneath the car. I reckon there must be at least 2L and possibly 2.1L in it. Either way, it is impossible to get any more in through the filler. Thanks, guys.