1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear knob

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Surfmod, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Surfmod

Surfmod Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 659 turbo
    Hi
    Just put in a new leather gearstick gaiter and it's made the gear knob look frankly shabby - tried autosol but now it's shiny and shabby - I can't find any aftermarket ones I like and no originals anywhere. Anyone know where to get a shiny original? (Phew, a whole post and I managed to avoid knob jokes...)

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Try ebay, wreckers or your local Daihatsu dealer.

But to be honest, the original one is not good. Chromed plastic...ugh...
    If you want to go aftermarket, the thread size is M12x1.25.
    I got a nice custom made leather one with a baseball stitching, way better!

Surfmod likes this.
  3. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    An original knob will probably be fairly expensive new, I doubt there's many closer than Japan, so easiest way is contact your nearest dealer and ask for a price. Daihatsu UK
    Only ones I can find anywhere myself are the actual Daihatsu aftermarket ones, but you can get ebay versions of them far cheaper.

If you really like the original and it's just the chrome finish flaked off on yours, you might be able to get it chromed cheaper than buying a new one.

Surfmod likes this.
  4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
  5. Tim Matthews

Tim Matthews Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    VW Fox
    I've been after an original one for ages now. They seem to be as rare as rocking horse mess. In the end, I got a chrome ball one from the Classic Car Show at the NEC last week, in their auto jumble section. It looks identical to the one in Salieri's E-Bay link and was the same price. The good news is, they look great in the car and are really easy to fit. I was actually able to do something to my car for once without having to bug my Father-in-Law for help. :)

6. lex schotel

lex schotel Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 2004 ,, lamborghini murcielago
    thank you Salieri
    I just ordered the alloy gearknob , the ratteling of the repco aftermarket one was driving me bonkers