1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear knob change problem...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian S, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    *** SOLVED ***
    Some WD40 then I put some silicone mat over the ball, then used multi-grips to unscrew it.
    So...it unscrews but not without resistance, anti-clockwise.

Now putting the original in the box with the other OEM parts I've changed.
    The new knob is taller so I might have to cut 1-1.5cm off the top.

I've just bought a nice new leather stitched gear knob to replace the metal ball.
    Only problem is - I can't get the old one off & I don't want to damage it.

Can anyone help me out with what to do to remove it?
    How on earth do I get it off?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  2. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Hmm, after fighting with the knob & winning, exactly like you, I introduced my shifter to the 'fun tool', to remove 10mm in length for my new stitched leather shift knob. :cool:
    I can still screw the original back on, it now lives in the attic with everything else OEM I've removed.
    (The old air intake is part of the recreational equipment in my mouse cage now.)