1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gear box oil

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Silver Rollerskate, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Silver Rollerskate

Silver Rollerskate Copenworld Member

Hello,

This might sound like a really obvious question, but how do you check and top up the oil in the gear box?
    The user manual shows the nut on the side of the gear box. When I try to look I find that the I can't get my head cles enough to see anything! Also If I jack up the car then the oil level will not show correctly.

I'm no mechanic but I would have thought that it should be quite easy to do. What am I doing wrong?!?

The reason I want to check the oil is that I noticed some black colouring at the bottom of the gear box (around the join of the casing). Should I be concerned, worried or panicking.

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    There are no dipsticks for the gearbox oil.
    The fill plug is positioned at the top level of where the oil should be.
    So you would keep filling up with oil into it starts to come out of the hole again.
    The fill should be done on the level. You'll need a set of four axle stands, a pit or post lift.
    The oil may have just dribbled down from another point. If your concerned take it to a mechanic to check for oil leaks & check/fill/replace the gearbox oil.