1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fumey cockpit

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Sally, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Sally

Sally Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Company ford and about to buy a 2004 copen
    Hi all, I have recently bought a 2004 copen, and I love it. The only niggle I have is spathe smell in the cockpit when the heater is on. It's kinda fumey, quite pungent. Is it normal, or should I we worrying about fuel leaks?

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Was the car previously owned by a smoker?
    Does the air-con work?
    Is it an oil burning smell? You could have an oil leak.

For cigarette smells put a tray of charcoal in the car over night for a few days. The charcoal will absorb the smell. Also get some Fabreeze. Turn the blower onto full with the heat on. Spray the fabreeze into the inlet for the fan ( the three black mesh holes by the wiper arm). This will suck it through the system & make it smell a bit nicer.

3. copencat

copencat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    hopefully soon a new grey copen!
    Adam to the rescue!

do as he says! :)

4. Runners

Runners Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, Series 1 Mazda RX7
    Have a check that the oil filler cap is there and there's no oil or fuel leaking anywhere. My cap vanished after my last service and when the air vents are set to get fresh air from outside rather than recirculate, it got fumey. That's when I found the problem to be a missing oil cap. Created a right mess too!

5. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    what is a "spathe" smell?

If the heater was on it could be burning off dust or what ever if it hasn't been on in a long time.

Change from fresh air to recirculate and back and see if you notice a difference. If you smell it on recirculate it could be just the heater.

On the lines of Adam's fabreeze tip, you can get cans of foam to spray in the channels to clean and sterlise. They seem quite dear from the likes of Halfords but I saw some in a local cheap shop for 99p so bought a can to try out on my mother's car. Told he it was part of the service I was doing on the car! :) I can't say it did anything, not that it smelt to start, but it may have.

6. Sally

Sally Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Company ford and about to buy a 2004 copen
    Sorry, the iPad keeps changing my words for me, no idea where spathe came from. The previous owner did not smoke, I know her really well, in fact I think she gave up smoking and bought it for herself as a reward! It smells more like oil or exhaust to me, or possibly just because it has not been used for a while, just stuck in a garage. Will have a look under the bonnet at the weekend and see what I can find. It's pretty low on mileage, just been through an mot, I don't think she has ever had any issues with it. I didn't know it had a recirc option, will try that too. I really must read that manual. I only found out today you can open the boot with the remote! I thought I had to keep going in and opening it with the button in the arm rest. Thanks all for your help :)

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I'd go for the oil leak option then. Maybe from the oil filter?
    Have a look under the car in the morning to see if there are any oil drips.

8. TooCopen

TooCopen Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello Sally,

Are you always "smoked" in your car ?
    Did you find the issue ?
    Even the car can be drive "open to the air", not sure it is possible every day :eek:
    Please let us say what the problem was, or, if not, if you need help ;)
    Hope to read good news from you.