Fuel warning light

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aitch, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Aitch

Aitch Copenworld Newbie

I picked my Copen up 5 days ago :D and would like to know if a light comes on when the fuel is running low?

The fuel gauge was just under a quarter full when I was driving to work tonight, however when I went out in my car later, the needle was on the Empty!

Does anyone know if there is any reserve in the tank when the needle is on Empty. If so, roughly what sort of mileage can you get? The handbook suggests to get in the habit of filling up when it's a quarter full.

Happy new year to you all - don't forget to wave when you see me on the road :)

2. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

There is no fuel warning light.

If you do the theoretical numbers, when the needle hits the empty marker there should be another gallon in the tank.

Personally, I have found that when the needle hits the line there is another 20-30 miles in the tank, I've not had the guts to go more :)

generally I fill mine when the needle is almost on the line. A full tank gets me 260-285 miles generally, add 20-30 if I go beyond the endline :)

3. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    According the spec, the Copen has a 40L fuel tank.
    When I fill up from the fuel gauge empty, it takes just over 30L, so in theory, you have still got nearly 1/4 tank! :)

- Having said that the fuel pump is mounted in the fuel tank and sucks petrol up and out of the tank (have a look at page B07.pdf of the workshop manual - downloaded from this site). It is not clear how much petrol it need in the tank for the fuel pump to operate. The sensor arm is also mounted from same fixing as the fuel pump, so I would tend to believe it's indication. ;)

As many cars, the gauge does not seem very linear - i.e. goes down more rapidly towards empty. As Tringhenge said, I'm sure your okay for another 20 - 30 miles beyond empty.

I'm filling up about every 280 - 300 miles.

Rex.

4. Aitch

Aitch Copenworld Newbie

Thanks guys, that is really helpful as I always seem to be low on petrol at the wrong end of a 32 mile journey home from work!

BTW, loving my new car. Can't wait for the sun to shine.