1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel tank cap and filling up

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by trustafox, Dec 12, 2012.

1. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Whats the most fuel you have got in the tank when filled up?

being new to Copens I've not have to fill up much, this was third time and first was partly full.

I was just under ΒΌ mark, till it kept clicking off, to full took 6 gallons, 27.5 litres. Now the tank is 8.8 gallons 40 litres. So is there about 2 gallons left on the empty mark?

I'm wondering how far I can drive it when the light comes on?

2. Pitti

Pitti Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    LHD Copen 1.3
    Light? :D:D

:cool:

3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    It doesn't have a light but I've driven about 30 miles with it showing rock bottom. I didn't do it intentionally, I just forgot to fill up.:D

4. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    It doesn't have a light! it seems Daihatsu have put a budget fuel system in. I'll have to see how far I dare go. But with standard fuel gauges and Copens no except the needle being significantly lower the next trip than when you last finished, its going to take some guessing and gambling.

I did 20 miles in my Ford on purpose to test it, but that seemed to have alot more above full than copen does. Although thats based on my first proper fill up and may not of put in as much as I did yesterday.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    You don't really want to keep running the tank to empty anyway. You don't want dirt blocking the fuel lines/injectors. I fill up just after the needle has gone past a 1/4 tank.

6. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    Dwayner

Actually, it does have a light that warns your almost out of fuel.
    Its only ever came on once for me, when i was travelling from Melbourne to Adelaide (800kms) i only just made it into a station around 2am, and i drove about 10 miles from when it came on - very nerve racking seeing it come on - im guessing you must have to be very low for it to come on (its an orange fuel pump symbol when its lit up) as i have never let it go that low ever since.

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I must admit I didn't think the Copen had a light for low fuel. Just checked the manual & it doesn't mention a low level fuel light in the Meters & Gauges section.
    Could it be another peculiarity between the European & Australian versions?

8. dwayner

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

It could be part of the requirement for australia, known as the ADR initiatives.

9. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Shame they took it out.
    I didn't have one on my Suzuki Cappuccino either.

10. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    If that is right, then thats a real disappointment in Daihatsu. Why would you go to the bother of designing, parts sourcing and fitting for one country then completely ignore a whole continent. Its not like its new technology or usually on high end market cars. I'd have thought its a standard these days. So why did they put air-con in for cars in UK, its hardly has a handful of days use a year. Unless you are really fat and get sweaty easily. It would save more than it gains by taking it out and a lot more money than a fuel light.

11. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    My air-con is on every morning at the moment de-misting the window.

12. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    How does it demist any better if the air is colder?

I just put the fan on full and stare at the screen harder :eek:

13. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    The colder air is also dryer - air con works a treat to demist the windscreen.

14. dwayner

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

for what its worth, the light coming on once in 10 years, i dont think it matters.
    Ive been driving cars since 1978, and never ran out of fuel - and not because it didnt have a fuel warning light. I just never let it get low
    Its a much better habit of not letting it get too low , as the damage it can do to your engine, isnt worth it.
    I hear what you say about air con in the copen - i say the same thing about heated seats in australia! never gets cold enough to use them.
    I think for such a tiny car, they pack a fair bit into such a small package.
    I am glad to have the amazing reliability over a warning light any day.

15. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  16. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Article read Adam. I'll try it next time. With this weather I'm sure it will be foggy.

But warm air would still be better? you just don't have it when the engine is cold from start. So why don't they have an electrical heater in the blower? even if this was on for a pre-set time (timer) like my heated windscreen used to be. After a while you can get heat from the engine and the electrical heat wouldn't be needed. I say a timer so its not left on permanently as it would be forgotten about by many. The pre-warmed air, although containing same about of moisture would have a higher dew temperature to allow the windscreen condensation to evapourate. Also, if you have frost/snow on the windscreen it would help to melt that. Does the air-con cold air do that?

Question: who puts the heater on full as soon at they start the car?

17. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
  18. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Air conditioning removes moisture carried by the air and so helps to stop your cars glass from misting up.
    You use it with the heater on though so you have warm and conditioned air, not cold air

19. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    the moisture the air-con takes out the air, where does it go? I never knew if air-con had a drain hole.

20. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Air con systems have to dehumidifi otherwise you'd be blowing moist chilled air at the screen and the screen would mist up.
    The moisture from the air is expelled outside the car through a tube in the engine compartment. That's why you often see small puddles of water under a parked car in the summer, when the air con has been on.