1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Cantabile, May 5, 2018.

1. Cantabile

Cantabile Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2008 Daihatsu Copen Manual 660cc Turbo
    Hi, I’ve just purchased a 9 year 10 month old Copen 0.6 Manual Turbo. It has been very lightly used, odometer reads 84000km.

I’m getting average 12.8km/litre of petrol. My best tank of fuel so far is 13.2km/litre of petrol. I spend around 60 to 70% of the time driving on highways, from 80 to 120km/h. Other times in city streets.

I have a blowoff valve from the previous owner that makes the car go psss every time i lift the accelerator enough.

My tyres are 165/50 R15 73V Kumho.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

2. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I was getting about 7.5l per 100 originally then dropped to 6.5l per 100 after the Unichip install so yours isn't too far off.
    Copens aerodynamics are terrible and they are working pretty hard on the highway.

3. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    maybe you can check air filter, next time use petrol with 98 octane and set ecu back to factory reset, disconnect battery for 15 minutes . When was the last engine oel change?

my tiny car need between 9,5 to 12 litres..98 octane...

no food no living...:p:D its alive feed me..i`m hungry...

if you had bought the car from a guy, which didn`t use it to often and only in city poor miles, its possible that the CAT is poor and you need some time to clean it with driving highways and must change engine oel 2 or 3 times...

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. Cantabile

Car(s):
    thank you for your replies. i just had engine oil, transmission oil, spark plugs all changed in April. Air filter was taken out and cleaned by compressed air. i asked to change it but the workshop said it was sufficient to just clean it. i’ve been using 92 octane petrol. looks like i have to live with this fuel consumption rate then. thanks again

5. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    ...No. Slap the workshop, if you pay for a service that air filter should be changed, not 'cleaned'. Compressed air isn't going to get oil, tar and crap out of a paper filter, it's better than nothing but it should be replaced. Aftermarket gauze filters can be cleaned, in fact they're designed to be, but the paper ones are not!

I'd take it out for a look, if it's oily get a new one, it's easy to do just 2 clips.

6. Jam

Jam Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen
    Keep in mind that the tank is only about 30-32L from empty to full (at least in my case), instead of the nominal 40L. There's also about 3-4L after empty to get you by. Calculate accordingly.

7. Cantabile

Car(s):
    Thanks again. I wasn't charged for the cleaning of the air filter haha. I calculate using the litres pumped to autostop between fill-ups. Should I change to a gauze air filter then?

8. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    That or at least replace the paper one, I don't think there is a drop-in gauze filter though - the D-Sport version is still paper I think. Personally I think the air intake on the copen's filter box is too small and restricted, so I took the whole box out and fitted a cold-air induction kit with an enclosed filter, definitely improved the sound and felt a little better.

You'll need to check your local regulations first, we do have a few members from Singapore but I don't remember offhand if any have an induction kit fitted. Actually, now I think on it I'm pretty certain one in the FB group does, but check with someone local first I'd say. :)

If you just want to replace the standard filter, I found this list from Number 6 on another thread:-

Blueprint ADD62225 should fit.

Other filters are:

Japanparts FA-619S
    NPS D132U09
    Nipparts J1326025
    AMC DA-7605
    Japko 20619
    Muller PA3527
    Knecht LX 20002
    Ashika 20-06-619

9. Cantabile

Car(s):
    Thanks!! I shall get a new one and see if things improve

10. gotboost?

gotboost? Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    Workshops will often just clean the loose dirt and dust out of a paper filter if it doesn't look too bad. Suggesting that they have to replace it isn't quite right in all instances.