1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front registration plate - Does size matter?

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Rex, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Look, I know I’m being a bit of a bore asking this question, as it has been asked on other sites, but mine is slightly different.

Okay, we all know that front plate looks horrible. I understand the letters must be of a standard size and the spacing between them etc. BUT….

Can you trim the outside edge of the plate down? There is a lot of space around the outside and I’m sure it would look better if it were reduced a bit. Personally I’m very tempted to get the jigsaw out! :cool:

2. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    The regulations for number plates can be found here.

There has to be a minimum margin of 11mm on all new(ish) vehicles, so perhaps it would be possible to cut it down if you maintain the minimum margin?

I agree though, the front plates don't look good.

3. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

My front number plate is the standard size, ie. the letters and numbers are all in one row. One problem is that the plate is off-centre slightly.

All the Copens I've seen on the net have a rectangular (by this I mean almost square) front plate. Is that the shape of yours?

Why not try the standard front plate?

M.

4. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I have the rectangular plate and the good news for me is there is over 60mm space at each side. So I guess the jigsaw will be out tomorrow. Thanks rushmere.

If that doesn't do it, I'll try your idea machinehead, but it may mean taking the plate off the Wife's car to try...:eek:

5. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

I've got used to the square front plate. I thinky either shape would look odd due to the lack of a designed location. Would be interested to see a pic of the car with a long plate.

I did wonder about using the old stick-on style on the bonnet but got no further with checking the legality!

6. machinehead

I'll try to post a pic of mine with the long plate. If I don't have a pic you'll have to wait because my wife is away and she has my camera with her.

Being a bit of a PC dummy it might be easier if you PM me your email address and I'll email you a pic. That way I don't have to work out how to obscure the numbers.

M.

7. la7oea

la7oea Copenworld Newbie

Strange, but I have the square one mounted on the back and the rectangular on the front. But there's a reason. The rectangular (Norwegian size) does not fit at the back. (Too wide to fit without bending it)

8. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    Smaller front plate fitted to my Red Copen

I have this mounted on the front, which I think looks better than the square one, as it is just slightly bigger than the mounting plate. :):)

Attached Files:

9. machinehead

That looks good Coxie.

I really will have to make the effort to get some pics of my Copen up here. I need to get some decent weather and take a few on a lower resolution. All my current pics are too large for this site.

M.

10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I like the rectangular plate at the front (like on Coxie's), it's much closer to the Japanese size plate that the Copen was originally designed to have.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  11. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I have a question....

Why are you allowed to have smaller number plates with smaller lettering on bike? - And no front plate?

I don't understand the logic surely its about the visability of the plates - so the size should stay the same :think:

Rex.