Front page news......No more Copens in Europe??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rex, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I was shocked to find this article dated 4/8/10.

It says "Killed in Europe, the Copen will now be only available in Japan." :eek:

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-1312-Daihtasu+slightly+upgrade+its+Copen+in+Japan.html

I have rung Daihatsu UK and the lady at the call centre could not confirm or deny this. She did said that spare parts are still being imported.

What's the truth? As this article is published on a Japanese web site, I get the feeling it could be right! Also when the lady answered my call she said 'Subaru help desk'!
    We will have to wait and see...

Rex.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. copenboy

copenboy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Citroen C5
    I reckon that's reasonably reliable personally. I do know that IM Group (who are the Daihatsu distributors in the UK) are looking at bringing the Chinese made Great Wall Motors brand to this country.

Purely speculation on my part now, but I'm guessing this is not going to be in addition to Daihatsu, but rather to replace them in their brand portfolio as their 'budget' offering. If you look at what happened in Australia, around the time Daihatsu exited the market, Great Wall Motors entered...looks pretty ominious to me!

3. copenboy

copenboy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Citroen C5
  4. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi there,

I can confirm that for Germany (and heard it from other continetal european countries as well).
    Daihatsu will only sell the remaining Copens in stock plus a last edition of 60 cars (which will include very minor extras). No other new Copens will come to Germany.
    One reason seems to be the Euro 5 norm from 2011 on, which the 1.3l engine does not meet. Another reason are sales figures, in Germany only 56 Copens were sold in the first half of 2010.
    Same applies for the Materia, so from middle of 2011 on Daihatsu will only have a model-range of 3 cars on sale.

Andreas

5. MJM80

MJM80 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Black 53 plate
    Ford Fiesta
    Sad news. But the model shown on the link in the OP has an automatic gear box. No fun at all.

6. House

House Copenworld Newbie

This is a bit of a shock. I wonder how long it will be before spare parts become hard to find ?

H

7. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Have you noticed on the *Nihon Car* website - It says "Our little 659cc (Kei-Car) convertible, still popular among seniors" :eek:
    - What a cheek (but looking at our front page age poll - it could be true...) ;)

Rex.