1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front number plate

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Janusbell, May 1, 2015.

1. Janusbell

Janusbell Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    So jealous when I see pictures of overseas Copens with their properly sized front number plates. I'm not entirely over fond of the big square one we have in the UK. Can I go smaller and not risk the wrath of Mr Plod?

2. Janusbell

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Just seen a photo of a UK Copen with the more usually seen rectangular front plate. I think it looks better, but wouldn't it be too long & therefore flappy?

3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I had the rectangular plate on my copen but I never liked it, it didn't look right.
    I bought a square plate and with a bit of careful positioning it looks much better. For me the square plate is definitely better. You don't see many cars with square front plates these days so it's uniqueness is also more appealing. Stick to square.

Edit: forgot to add I've read on here of a plate similar in size to the Japanese front plate that fit the copen perfectly. Do a search for the thread.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  4. Janusbell

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks for the reply DaG. Interesting to have another perspective. I suppose my main gripe with my plate is that it isn't correctly positioned & the edge of the frame/bracket(?) that the plate fixes to can be partially seen. If it fitted correctly I doubt I would have considered other options.…

5. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    I've got the long UK style plate on the front. I've mounted it as far right as possible, i.e. so the left edge of the plate is at the left edge of the moulded plastic lump on the bumper. I used a stainless steel plate (see link) to mount it in case it flexed too much; in hindsight maybe not needed as it will only flex a few mm before touching the grill but the surround adds a nice touch.

http://www.rockshore.uk.com/richbro...-10580-p.asp?gclid=CO_g9bHPrMUCFZTLtAodVTsAGw

6. Janusbell

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Ordered the number plate frame from Craigsplates…

7. threepot

threepot Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, Hijet, Celica, and Yaris!
    Order a Jap import square plate, the font is slightly smaller and the plate is not as tall.

8. Janusbell

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Well I finally changed the front number plate. I bought the frame online from Craigsplates & had the actual plate made up at a local Motormania. I finally decided that the small plate looked better without the frame.

Attached Files:

9. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    photo of long front plate (if I've managed to attach file OK)

Attached Files:

10. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    For all of you in countries where they force you to have enormous number plates, here is what you can get in New South Wales. Mind you, I had to pay extra, else I would have got the ugly yellow and black one. This number plate looks tiny on a normal car; on this one
    it looks just about right.
    IMG_20170312_150527_zpsissh5tl6.jpg

11. ronalddoes

ronalddoes Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 659 cc, 2009 Sirion 2 1000cc, 2010 Subaru Justy 1000cc
    So unfair... :(
    If you think our front number plates look ridiculous, you should check out the Dutch importer's "solution" to fitting the rear plate:

File_000.jpeg

12. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    ronalddoes, we have the same in duitsland :/
    Only if you are good friends with the people at the department of transportation you might get a smaller license plate.

13. ronalddoes

Car(s):
    I've spoken to the DoT-people, and all hopes of befriending them vanished immediately. Maybe we can share a shipping container and move to NSW with our Copens...

In the Netherlands, the permission to carry small Japanese-style plates is granted only at time of importing and only if the car physically cannot accommodate regular ones. Since mine was originally sold here, hell will be hosting the Winter Olympics before my Copen is allowed the small plates.

Salieri likes this.
  14. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Can't you use the shaped ones that fill the whole space similar to those we have in the UK ?

15. ronalddoes

Car(s):
    Nope, this is it. Probably the reason the Rover 75 failed as spectacularly as it did on this side of the channel, coming to think of it.

16. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Lol, I think it had a few more image problems than just the number plate. I'm thing pipe and slippers. Shame really because the V8 was quite a tasty sounding motor.