Front "A" Pillar cover removal - help???

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Your Majesty, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Hello, has anyone got any experience of taking off the front internal "A" pillar covers?
    On many other cars it is a case of pulling the cover free of the retaining clips on the back of cover and then lifting upwards to free the bottom retaining piece. But on the Copen, it feels like it is clamped at the top as well as the bottom. Should I remove some other pieces first, or is it a case of being a bit braver and wiggling it free? :think:
    Any help would really be appreciated, thanks :)

2. Your Majesty

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Garnish

...found something in the service manual (section J02 page 30) which shows that this cover is called "Garnish, FR pillar RH/LH", but nothing about removing the Garnish (what a great name :) ) - is anyone a Garnish expert? :think:

3. Runners

Runners Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, Series 1 Mazda RX7
    It might help......

I fitted a dab aerial to my little Copen last weekend. I didn't end up removing the A pillar trim, but I did prise enough of it away to run wires down it through to the back of the glove box, and ground the aerial to the chassis behind the trim. This is how.....

1. Move the visor out the way and undo the two bolts that hold on the front half (windscreen side) of the roof latch. They are star shaped holes on the bolts, you'll need about a size 27 bit to remove them.

2. Lift the roof just a few millimetres upwards, and that will be enough to remove the plastic latch half. I just let it hang down, as I wasn't going to take long.

3. You should now be able to get your fingers behind the trim, near the top on the side closest to the door. You need to work your way down the trim, and pop the top plug holding the trim in. You'll need the door open to get better access.

4. With the top plug popped, you should now be able to disconnect the very top of trim from behind the trim that goes across the top of the windscreen.

5. Now go back to the A pillar trim, where you pulled it to pop the top plug. Now go downward and pop another plug about half way down.

This was enough for me to get behind the trim and run wires etc, without removing the whole trim panel. At a guess, there's another plug at the bottom, there could even be one inside the glove box, as the trim butts right up against the side of the glove box.

Hopefully, that will give you a bit of a steer, if you need to remove the whole panel.

Sarah

4. Tegan SA

Tegan SA Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2006 Copen 1,3
    2013 BMW 118i auto
  5. Your Majesty

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Thanks

Thanks Runners (and Tegan) :)
    Sorry for not responding earlier but it's been wet, cold, dark and busy at work but today was a chance to have another look.
    I opened the roof, put on an optimistic air and loosened those two bolts as you suggested (with a 27 star bit) and was then able to pop out the top of the A pillar cover. As before I then popped free the middle two clips on the cover and once these were free it was just a case of pulling the cover up and out - at the bottom of the cover are two plastic prongs (like a fork) which don't actually clip but just seat the bottom in place.
    Once it was free, I then got around to the point of the exercise which was to fit a nice leather cover.
    Refitting the A pillar cover is actually a lot harder than releasing it, you need to fit in the base nice and snug and then really manipulate the top of this A pillar cover and the windscreen top cover to get it to fit back into place, a bit of perseverance and it'll click back in and then it's easy to finish. :cool:

6. Runners

Runners Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, Series 1 Mazda RX7
    Glad it helped a bit :)