1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found in the boot.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by penlanone, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Adnan

Adnan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Adam,

Had a further look, I cant still pinpoint where the smell is coming from but I think its off this silver foil which has a hand picture on. I can even smell it when I come out off the car.

Another question does your radiator gets really hot even after 5 mins drive to the point that if you open the radiator cap the water splashes out. There is no steam coming out though.

I have also checked the engine oil level and its up to the top hole where the dip stick bends ( I think thats the max point, it doesnt say though) and its brown in colour. There is enough coolant and everything seems fine.

I have attached a picture to show where it might be coming from.

Attached Files:

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hey Adnan,
    Under that foil is the turbo. Further below that is the oil filter.

When changing the oil filter, oil can spill out & puddle on the top of the engine mounting. If it's not cleaned up it will burn off & smell.

On the oil dipstick itself towards the end there should be two small holes in the stick. The oil level should be between these two points. Preferably at the top hole. Just above the top hole is a funny bend bit. So it sounds like your oil level is okay.

I can't say I've ever felt the radiator temperature after a short drive.

If your temperature gauge is in the middle, I would think everything is okay.

My guess would be that you have a small oil leak that is burning off & smelling. Or it's left over oil spillage from when the oil was changed.

Put a piece of clean card under your car overnight to see if any oil drips onto it.

Did you sort your rubber things out? The way the roof folds into the boot the painted surface doesn't rest on those rubber thimbles.

3. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    Roof Scratches

Hi penlanone,

had similar problems with roof scratching back in 2008, managed to get roof resprayed under warranty.

I have attached a link to Copen owners club for info.

Managed to stop scratching by covering cable shown in pics, with a piece of towelling, this did the job, no further problems :D

http://copen.4.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1662&hl=

Hope this helps

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I've learnt something new. I'm going to check my cables now. No marks on the roof so must be okay, but you never know.

5. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    I also have the cables (actually one of the plastic clips) scratching the roof when just bought the car, so I removed the plastic clip and managed to secure the cable nearer to the boot lid. Luckily, it was found very early and a bit of rubbing compound and waxing took care of the scratch. That's probably the only time I've "polished" the car.

6. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    Maybe scratching the roof is the exact reason why the previous owner removed the rubber pegs?

7. penlanone

penlanone Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen (Arrr)
    Zafira (ugh!)
    BMW F650 CS (Yum)
    Thanks Coxie. I think you're right issuefixed. Something in the 'fold geometry' (in my car) is causing the actual boot to contact the roof section. The dealer (Daihatsu!!!)that I purchased from had removed the rubber cones that support the arms, perhaps as a temporary fix to the scratching problem! Grrr. I replaced them and, as if by magic, I have a scratched paint surface. I've fixed it for the time being by fitting some very thin, self adhesive, rubber pads. I could actually see where (I believe) the boot lid was touching (one of the boot reinforcement sections). I'd really like to know the correct procedure for adjustment and alignment of the folding sequence / geometry ...and what the cause is? :-(( If anyone has that info, then please post. :think:

8. hosehboh

hosehboh Copenworld Newbie

Hey Adam,

Can you advise where to get the studs for the boot? This used copen which I purchased recently has both missing & I can't find it locally, which is Singapore.

9. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Sorry Hosehboh don't know any Singapore suppliers.
    Are there Daihatsu dealers in Singapore? If not, I'd suggest trying a Toyota dealer.