1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally a good clock!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian S, May 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Selling a $30,000 tiny sports car in 2003 without a clock has always puzzled & annoyed me.

Finally I have found a clock that is easy to read (in daylight), looks quite good & matches the round speedo etc and the HVAC dials. With so little space to mount a clock, it took me 2 years before I discovered this one for my princess.
    Pictures attached so you can decide for yourself. You could probably put it a little more to the left and/or down a bit, but the dash curves.

It is a motorcycle clock that I had to make a few little changes to.
    Essentially, you just have to take a hacksaw & remove a small round bit of metal that sticks out the back, in order to make it flush. Then get out a file to smooth it off.
    Next I used contact adhesive to attach it. It's a very easy mod.
    To replace the battery, you just use a tiny Allen key (provided) & the clock face separates from the mounted base.

Link to the ebay site in Australia that I got it from is below, but I think it's quite a generic product:
    7/8" 1" Universal Motorcycle Handlebar Mount Glow In Dark Dial Clock Tool *AU | eBay

I hope this helps someone else who has been searching for a decent clock.
    Safe & fun journeys to you all, Brian (Canberra, Australia)

Attached Files:

adatara and Tony like this.
  2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    yours didn't come with a clock?
    Every Copen I've seen had a digital clock just below the radio, like mine
    DSC02985.JPG

Brian S likes this.
  3. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    As Crocodile Dundee showed the world Aussies can tell time by looking at the sun so we don't need clocks in our copens.
    Mine has beer holders in that location:)

Brian S and adatara like this.
  4. Brian S

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    I'm off the piss so I need a clock. Canberra winters don't give much sun to go by either...

5. Brian S

Car(s):
    Nope, nothing. Only problem there is that I rely on my 2nd DIN for storage! Our Copens were direct, unchanged Japanese models.
    Is yours a 1.3? Also we only got 2 colours, silver & yellow, and only black door trims. Does the cute Japanese girl berate you in your Copen?

6. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    mines a 660cc but it's uk spec so it's slightly different to the Japanese version. Slightly more hp(67 vs 63hp), slightly less torque(100vs109nm), fewer max rpms(8k vs 8.5k) and a few other tiny differences such as no window lock button and a rear fog light

also I thought the Japanese copen's had this radio?
    o1512201614363960876.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  7. Brian S

Car(s):
    No, nothing like yours. There are two DIN size holes in the middle & I use the top one for storage.
    You can see how I've used adhesive felt to divide it up to fit those mints exactly on the left
    Left at the bottom is a garage door opener, right is a twin USB in the 12 volt.
    The ashtray has $2 "Squeegy Man Money" & a retractable USB unit.

The stereo it came with looked period. I replaced it with a 1 DIN size Bluetooth unit.
    It had, however lived for 15 years as just a toy weekend car, so it's possible someone changed it out.
    Yours looks much classier making me think the original failed in some way if that's what it came with.
    But why the crappy replacement? Maybe someone in Australia knows.

Anyway, I only have the stereo on when I'm working, else it is on 'StandyBy" as I just want to enjoy the driving.
    Also it's "flying on instruments" when the stereo is on, isn't it, the engine gives you no idea if you're at 7k rpm in 3rd!
    The engine is so smooth & linear so you have to use the tachometer constantly.
    IMG_20200603_231027[1].jpg

Ah, I notice that yours is automatic! I didn't even know autos existed as they only imported 5spd manuals here I think.
    How do you like it? Is it a 4spd? When does it decide to change up?
    I personally wouldn't want an auto, even though it's my daily driver (60k km service next week, AUD$479), as I love the turbo hit that starts at 3250rpm & usually change up about 5k rpm. In fact, the gearbox is so low geared & close ratio that I'm always changing gears. It should have been a 6spd. Cruising, it's almost 4000rpm in 5th.

I've conducted "research" on a long, flat piece of country road just 20km away. I hit 150kmh (roof up) on my 3rd pass. I discovered that you have to change up from 4th at 6500rpm to get it to pull at all in 5th. If I persisted I, think 160kmh would be possible but I'm happy with 150kmh.
    Thanks for your reply AFRON. Cheers mate!

Attached Files:

8. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    Mines the 5 MT, that last pic was taken from the internet. They didn't sell the autos outside of Japan.

9. Brian S

Car(s):
    That's what I thought, but then I thought maybe you'd changed to a [disappointing] 1.3 & maybe that's why it was an auto.

I don't see why you'd put up with all the many, many compromises of driving a Copen, then get an auto, style alone? If you want an auto, go buy an MX-5, you'd probably get better than 7-8/100km also & could use 91RON fuel here (-12% cost). But...now I'm thinking of a scenario where cute Japanese girls engaging in Cosplay drive their auto Copens slowly past reflective shop windows & use them for props in group selfies! Now that would be perfectly reasonable. Cheers mate! 3rd night of winter and already -5 here last night.

10. adatara

adatara Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    L880 Copen; have a Honda Airwave (long Honda Fit); had Subaru Foresters
    the large 2-din stereo with mini disc player is what L880K Copens came with here in Japan. I removed the stock stereo but still have it; now have a 2-din stereo / gps, which has a clock. I like your clock, Brian S.

11. Brian S

Car(s):
    Thanks adatara, it took a long time to find it! I bought my Copen with 40k km & a 1-din head unit with the upper din empty. I installed in a bluetooth 1-din & put matting in the top din for storage.
    There's no sign of that stylish head unit ever being in my Copen. Maybe someone here in Australia will tell me what it came with? Monday is "36 month" 60k handbook service.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020