1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust woes!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Clothcat, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Clothcat

Clothcat Copenworld Newbie

Hi All, both my exhaust tail pipes have fallen off in the last 6 months (no, I don't know where they went!) because my exhaust has begun to corrode. Basically I need a new back box (or whatever it's called) before the whole thing drops off, but getting one around here (South Cumbria) appears to be a struggle. Can anyone recommend somewhere that knows how to deal with a Copen? How much can I expect to pay for a new exhaust??

I don't want to pay too much as I am supposed to be selling the car :( because we are moving away. I don't know what to do!!

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Clothcat, Welcome to Copenworld.
    There are new exhaust systems you can buy off ebay. You need to either fit the system yourself or take it to a garage to fit.
    You could go to your nearest ex-Daihatsu dealer for them to fit you but it will be expensive.
    Or you could buy a full stainless steal system.
    Buy from this place & get fitted:
    http://www.roarpower.co.uk/daihatsu_copen_stainless_steel_exhaust.htm

Or find your nearest Powerflow exhaust dealer to custom build you a system.

3. Clothcat

Thanks so much for your response - I have e-mailed roarpower and will now browse ebay.

4. Kevin Batchelor

Kevin Batchelor Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi

I got an exhaust very easily from Kwikfit - but not the rear pipes. It was £245 fitted.

I know the stainless steel exhausts are great though.

Tell me about you Copen - I might be interested as I am considering collecting them!

Kevin

5. Clothcat

Hi Kevin, I just typed a long response but then got logged out!

Anyway, I hadn't thought of trying Kwikfit - good idea. My local garage has quoted a pretty high price for the job, so I'm willing to try anywhere.

My Copen is silver with red leather and still hasn't got 30,000 miles on the clock. I've had it since new in May 2006 and the only additions to the original spec is a radio/CD player with i-pod connector concealed in the glove box. I've put £4,500 on it - a mix of research and guess work. There doesn't seem to be much consistency in asking prices.

Good luck with your collection!

6. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    If going to kwikfit watch out for them trying to sell you stuff you dont need. I took my previous car (Ibiza) to them for service 3 yrs ago and they said it needed new exhaust; I didn't get it done and it has since passed all MOTs and I sold it with that exhaust still on last month.

7. Kevin Batchelor

Kevin Batchelor Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Clothcar

Thanks for that.

How are the rear wheel arches and sills on your car for rust? Also the wheels - are they blistered?

Would be good to see dome pics

Thanks and all the best with the exhaust

Kevin

8. Dangermouse

Dangermouse Copenworld Newbie

Deffo shop around

I had quote from kwikfit and nearly said yes. then got much lower quote from a group called eurofit, watched them do the job and very happy new middle section which includes the silincer bit and new twin exhaust end piece £300 including fitting.

Don

9. nertman

nertman Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    57 plate copen
    Customised MGTF
    Nissan Terrano
    Suzuki GSR
    Kawasaki W800
    Longlife exhausts

£300 pounds is pretty close to the costs of a full stainless system,i think ours came to £320 inc vat

10. Tooten

Tooten Copenworld Newbie

Evening all!

Long time reader, but irregular poster!

We had the same issue with our 600 recently but due to time constraints haven't done anything about it. However the car flew through the MOT today, even with the tailpipes missing!

The guy who did the test (at a council run place, not kwik fit type place) said that by the rule book, the chrome extensions are only seen as cosmetic and not integral to the exhaust condition and you shouldn't technically be failed for them. He did also admit that tyre and exhaust places would see this as an ideal way to make some easy cash, so beware where you get it tested if they are missing!

Might be useful for others as this is a common issue!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  11. Clothcat

Hi Kevin,

To be honest I haven't checked for rust anywhere other than the exhaust (I'm a girl!). My car is advertised on Gumtree at the moment - look for the one in the South Lakes area - there are some pictures on there.

I am going to try to order an exhaust from ebay tomorrow and my friend is going to fit it for me. Fingers crossed!

12. Clothcat

Hi Tooten,

Yes, my car passed the MOT no problem and the mechanic told me that the tail pipes were just cosmetic. But I had a feel of the exhaust today and there are bits missing, holes, flakey bits, so I don't think anyone has tried to rip me off - they've just given me good advice.

I've been quoted £450 for a stainless steel one inc. fitting, but the ebay one seems the sensible (cheaper) option at the moment.

13. Clothcat

Awaiting arrival of exhaust!

Finally got round to ordering my new exhaust today, from ebay. Ordered over the phone and the man checked to make sure the exhaust was compatible with my car first (gave him the reg. number), which has reassured me that I have ordered the right one! My friend at the garage is going to fit it for me.

Will update you all on the success/failure of this purchase! With a bit of luck it will all come to less than £300 (centre and rear exhaust, twin pipes and fitting).

14. hue-vashon

hue-vashon Copenworld Newbie

Long life exhaust

I enquired about a Longlife stainless exhaust system that showed up in a Google search.

http://www.roarpower.co.uk/daihatsu_copen_stainless_steel_exhaust.htm

The guy who makes them doesn't work there any more and the don't do a supply only. All the franchises of Longlife still offer a custom build and fitting service for £450 inc VAT with lifetime guarantee.

I was lucky and found a second hand pipe on ebay for £145 and was able to fit it myself. Copen sounds wonderfull with it's new sports exhaust.

15. Clothcat

Yes, I also got a quote from roarpower, but because they are based in Birmingham I decided to just get the usual one and have it fitted locally. My exhaust arrived first thing this morning and it will be fitted at the weekend. Yippee!!

16. Clothcat

No More Exhaust Woes!

Ordered my new exhaust from ebay and it arrived the next morning. A friend fitted it for me at his garage and only charged me £20 because it didn't take long to do. So that's a complete new exhaust all fitted for £260! Yippee!!

17. mark999boy

mark999boy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Subaru Impreza WRX (FOR SALE)
    Well done Clothcat, fantastic news. I have just ordered the tail section from a chap, £55. Great price.

Mark

18. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

How do these things fall off? is it due to rust ?

19. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Yep, they rust & fail.

20. Silver Rollerskate

Silver Rollerskate Copenworld Member

Oh no.

Ahhhhh!!
    Walking up to my car this morning and noticed that one of the tailpipe had fallen off. I've got no idea where that's gone.

Yet another victim of the dreaded Copen rusty exhaust monster!!!!

Time to start looking at a stainless steel system me thinks