1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust heat guard

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Josh, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    BMW 318D
    Hi
    Bought myself an exhaust heat guard, thanks Adam K for posting the link from ebay! Always wanted one!!!!!

My question is, there are plastic and metal washers... just want to know which fits where?

For anyone who fitted one, is it hard? is there any specific to look out for and hint and tips?

Thanks
    Josh

2. 2jags

2jags Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Figaro
    Renault Megane CC 190 Tom Tom
    Hi josh, sorry can't answer any of your questions but am interested in the replies you may get, as like you I have bought one - skint now thanks to Adam - just waiting for it to arrive! :)

3. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Heat Guard Fitting

We fitted one of these on Friday after getting it from the same seller, it looks great so well worth the effort...
    It was just scary as the nuts and bolts became apparent and it dawned that it would require several holes drilling in the Copen:eek:
    As for the washers, the metal ones go on the visible, outside, the acrylic ones on the inside with the nuts.

The only tips I can give are (I'm no expert, but a bit of a perfectionist, which in the opinion of some is an irritant but in my book means good results, generally... :D);
    1) apply masking tape to the bumper anywhere a hole may be required, this results in clear pencil marks and that when you start to drill the bit won't slip on the paintwork
    2) as a check, measure down from the inside lip of the top of the number plate recess to the top edge of the Guard at left and right extremes to ensure it is square, securely tape the guard to the bumper before drawing on the holes required for drilling. I used a 3mm pilot hole and 6mm main holes, rather than the 8mm depicted in the instructions as it appeared to be big enough for the purpose, just a little less tolerance for error so you'll need to be accurate across all holes.

Then you just need to find the nerve to take the drill to the car for the first hole...
    Good luck, Garry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  4. Josh

Josh Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    BMW 318D
    Thank you for the hints and tips
    I will do it this weekend! I am so nervous about drilling into the bumper!! :rolleyes:

5. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    just got an exhaust guard!!!! :D The guy had just one left. I thought with all the feedback for ones bought that they had all gone and I had missed them :(

Now question is do I paint it black? cos silver on silver :think:

6. 2jags

2jags Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Figaro
    Heat guard

I think that would look really good :) Working up the courage to let hubby loose with the drill on mine !

7. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I'm not sure if black will be too dark, as in lose the ribbed detail. With black you'd don't get shadowing so they would be much less obvious. See the photo above to see the effect.
    But on the plus side the shiny bolt heads would be more prominent.

I've toyed with the idea of it being red but think that would be too bright and Fisher Price.

I may have to employ DaG Designs to work up a few ideas.

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    How about putting some 3M carbon fibre effect vinyl wrap?

9. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    hmmm, I was going to say it might peel, but I could over lap it and it would be trapped behind.

In the event of not liking it or sticky failure, I could then pull the vinyl off. Fairly easily I suspect.

I think I will try it on in its original form, see how it looks and take it from there.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  10. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Modding Ja

Just fitted my ebay purchase. Like the advice from Clare L recently I applied the masking tape before drilling and used a thick black felt tip pen that filled the hole nicely to mark the fixing points.

But additionally I used a wood drill bit as it had a tiny spike on the end which I used manually to start the hole and could get it bang on centre of my felt tip pen mark. I driled with this 3 mm bit and then drilled all the holes but didn't use the 8 mm, or 6 mm as ClareL, but a 5 mm. Yes accuracy was the name of the game and they all lined up well. The bolt then actually had a nice snug fit and wouldn't have fell out without the nut. Well they would eventually when driving but you get the picture. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now don't those tailpipes look weedy! :(

11. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    That looks ok, kind of a subtle anodised aluminium look against the silver. I wouldn't paint it or wrap it it's fine as it is.
    What you said about the weedy tail pipes. I looked for exhaust trims for mine to bring the end of the pipes further out from the bumber. I couldn't find anything of a large enough diameter to pass over the existing pipes though.
    Mine are about 80mm in diameter, it might be the photo but your tail pipes look a smaller diameter. Is that the original exhaust?

12. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    are you comparing girth DaG! ;)

13. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    yes the metal on silver does look better and more defined than I imagined and was wondering people's opinions now they can see it with respect to my colour question above.

Enjoyed fitting it this evening. weather was ok so thought i'm lazy leaving it in the house unfitted.

14. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Looking good Trustafox, I think the alloy look is fine on the Silver, it also looks like an original exhaust, I think it is the angle in the second picture somehow makes them look weedy, in the top picture they look normal, perhaps the temperature dropped between shots ;)
    Nertman has had a Stainless Steel exhaust made for Dinky which looks great, also sounds a little beefier too, I'll get a pic next time we meet up and you can take a gander, if he and Mikky don't mind...
    Isn't it quite satisfying standing back after the job is done :D
    This is Garry btw

15. 2jags

2jags Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Figaro
    I think it looks just fine as it is and seeing as you enjoyed fitting it so much, when would be convenient for me to bring mine round for fitting!! Lol

16. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Ooh err Mrs.:D
    Actually girth and diameter are two different things but I digress.
    I think GaryL is right the pipes look normal in the top picture but where you've lay on the ground to get that David Baily arty-farty angle your girth looks smaller.:eek:
    There's a moral in that story.

17. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    yeah yeah Mr Engineer, but mathematically related.

18. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    bring it down then

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I can positively say the exhaust heat guard makes my car go faster!

20. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Does it? Where can I buy one?.....said Mr Gullible.:D