Exhaust broken....

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by machinehead, Oct 18, 2009.

1. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

Yesterday the RH chrome exhaust end fell off. It almost hit a Jaguar behind us. I was very glad to see the Jaguar drivers quick reaction. Ooops!!

I see on the "other" forum that this is not uncommon. It is just coming up to 3 years old, which is poor really.

Anyway, I think I might replace the whole system since it must be all close to being rotten. Has anyone bought an exhaust recently and if so, how much did it cost?

Thanks for any replies.

M.

2. Dave

Dave Copenworld Newbie

Sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't had the same problem so can't help with a suggestion, but I'd like to hear what you finally go for. I might need to do the same sometime.

3. machinehead

Hi Dave,

So far, I got a price for a complete exhaust in stainless steel for £449 inc. VAT and fitting.

I know that is a lot of money but I was also qouted the following; rear section £195, front section £167, P&P £85. That is in steel and makes the stainless steel look like a bargain.

I still haven't decided. I'm going to check the usual Kwikfit etc. I'll let you know.

M.

4. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    I'd be interested to hear the outcome too.

I'd like to build up a library of good suppliers to put on the directory page, and maybe document solutions to common problems on the features page, so I'd be grateful if you have any information to share that could be useful to other owners.

Good luck with finding a decent (and affordable) solution!

5. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    One side of my twin exhaust rusted off and went bouncing merrily down the road a few weeks ago. I didn't want to go back to the garage where I bought The Yellow Peril because I went back there for her first service and they charged me a small fortune and took her for a joyride, and when I made some enquiries, the back box and twin pipes alone - without labour - would have cost £138.

I'd heard some bad stuff about Kwikfit, but when I asked if they could help me they really put themselves out. They liked the Copen (which I think helped), and sourced and fitted the back box section for £140. The twin pipes are not chrome plated - they're stainless - so they have more of a dull shine than before, but to be honest I quite like the effect, and if I was really bothered I could always go to Halfords and buy a couple of chav pipes! :p

If you're in the Cambridge area and you want to give them a try, it's the branch on Histon Road opposite Aldi. Tell them they did my exhaust on the little yellow Copen and I was really pleased with the work. If you want more details so they can look my records up, pm me.

Edit - Ooo, I'm a member now!! :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. machinehead

Well here's the update.

I have done a bit of research both on the 'net and locally and the variations in prices are very marked.

Highest quote was £550. (This was an estimate actually, not a quote).

One one I mentioned above who quoted £449 looked at the car and told me they wouldn't know the exact price until they were finished but they would try to keep to the quoted £449. That left me feeling a bit uncomfortable because no trader would tell you this so that they could charge you less. It seems to me they are just opening the door to definately charge a little more. (Or maybe a lot, who knows?)

So I was chatting to my daughters boyfriend who told me he had an exhaust fitted to his car about 6 years ago by a local independant exhaust company.

This morning I went to see him. No fancy showroom just a rough working garage.
    He quoted me £350 fitted for a full stainless steel system matched as closely as possible to the original. It's still a lot of money for an exhaust system but I plan to keep the Copen for a few years so I'm prepared to shell out for the long term good.

There you are. I'll report again when It's fitted.

M.

7. machinehead

I got the stainless steel exhaust fitted today. Great job and it included the wider ends just like the original, except in stainless steel.

I also had a choice of shape and size for the end of the tail pipe. I kept it close to the original size - maybe a little larger.

The exhaust note is no louder than before but I need to drive the car with the roof down to hear if the lovely soft rasp is still there.

So, for £350 supplied and fitted I think that's a real bargain when compared to the cost of a mild steel exhaust from Daihatsu, which would have been more than £350 and then a fitting charge on top!!!

M.

8. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

I reckon that is a good deal. I'd be interested in the same thing, so will start looking around near me!

9. machinehead

http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/dealer-locator/

This is the type of system I had fitted. Try this site and use the search function to find an agent near you.

You can even get a quote online.

M.