1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evening All

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Klause, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Klause

Klause Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    '08 Copen
    Series 3 Landrover
    '88 XV1100
    I've been driving an '04 Smart Roadster Coupe as my daily for the last 2 years, but it's time to say goodbye as I've racked up some fierce mileage and the bills are getting more frequent.

I love this car, and have been agonising about what to replace it with. I like small, nippy, fun, economical, and different. The Smart has all those in bucket loads. Nothing else I looked at came close......until I found my Copen!!!!!!

I saw it and fell for it immediately. Rushed off to read everything I could find, and got more and more convinced that this was the car for me.

So, after a bit of haggling and tyre kicking, I'm picking it up next week; a nice '08, low mileage beauty. I'm actually quite excited about it :).

Well, off to watch more YouTube videos, look at pictures, and peruse the forums - looking forward to chatting to you all and learning about my new car.

2. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Welcome to Copenworld, there is loads of information on this site to keep you going until next week :)

3. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Hi from Dublin, Klause!

The Irish 08s are probably the 1.3L, be sure to see what road tax you are under - either engine size or CO2 is possible in an 08 car.

Ask to see the NCTs as well, and double check the milage from them.

You're probably looking at the guts of 10k EUR for a 2008 Copen. Check the buyers guide thread to see what the common issues are, and perhaps you can knock some money off the dealer.

4. Klause

Klause Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    '08 Copen
    Series 3 Landrover
    '88 XV1100
    Thanks, Clare - i appreciate the welcome. I'm working my way through the forum posts inbetween flicking to pics of my new car!!

Number6, thanks. I'm in Westmeath. The car has less than 16,000 km on it, one owner and all paperwork and receipts. Its immaculate having been used for city driving and garaged when not in use. Less than 10 grand, too.

Unfortunately its taxed on engine size - still it could be worse, eh?

Currently being NCT'd for pick up next week.

WAHOOO!

5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Yay!

I regularly travel from Dublin to Galway, if you ever need a hand with anything.

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    When I bought my copen I was actually looking for a smart roadster but somehow ended up with a copen. Tales of water leaks causing expensive damage to electronics started me looking at alternatives to the roadster.
    My previous car had a semi automatic box (sensodrive) and it started to be problematic so that also put me off the Smart. Ive often wondered if I did the right thing, I still like the look of the roadster.
    My copen is a 08 that's a good choice. Its a conventional front wheel drive car with none of the problems associated with turbos, or 3000 mile oil changes that are a part of owning the earlier copen. Good choice.:)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  7. Klause

Klause Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    '08 Copen
    Series 3 Landrover
    '88 XV1100
    Number6 thats great, thanks very much - I really appreciate it.

DaG, I've been driving for nearly 30 yrs now, and I can, in all honesty say that the Roadster is the best car I've driven. The gearbox was bullet proof and in manual was a dream to use. It handled like it was on rails, and the engine was blistering - the acceleration and torque were phenomenal. It was/is like a skate board with a screaming engine lashed to it. In 3 years I had no issues, just smiles. It's completely thrash-able, or can pootle along all day and a gentle and serene pace. To be honest, if they still made them I'd have bought a new one - no hesitation.

Hence, I've been very hesitant about getting rid of it and needing to find the right car. I have in the Copen. I took it for a test drive today and I have to say I'm staggered. The handling blows the roadster out of the water. But, the engine (1.3) does not come close to the roadster, which I found surprising. Still, I can live with it. The car itself is utterly gorgeous in the cabin - really superb.

And, the turning circle!!!! Flipping-heck! This thing is outstanding.

I know I'm going to enjoy this super little car.

8. quibbles

quibbles Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2008 Copen and an Avensis
    Welcome! It may not be the nippiest car in the world and it's certainly the bumpiest, but it's FUN! People will stare at you, you'll feel SPECIAL! I got my 2008 1.3 two years ago with 7k on the clock and it's made me smile every time I drive it. Get the roof down too! It's even more fun in the dark :D