Error code P0141 – 02 sensor

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by zippadeedoodaa, Feb 12, 2014.

1. zippadeedoodaa

zippadeedoodaa Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2007 Copen
    Hey there !

My 2007 – 1.3 Copen has recently developed an engine management fault.
    With the aid of a diagnostic device I have determined the error code to be :
    P0141 – 02 sensor heater circuit – Bank 1 sensor 2

As there could be a number of sensors along the exhaust chain, can anyone provide any advice on how to proceed ?

Regards

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    From memory, on the 660cc version, there is a single O2 sensor at the front of the car - stuck in the exhaust from the cat to the exhaust.

Here is a photo
    [​IMG]

That's the oil pan with the blue plug, to the left of the exhaust and the o2 sensor.

I'd say it's time to replace the sensor, or see if the wire is frayed / not sitting in properly to it's electrical connector

3. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    just googled it....

As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The ECM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. It the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0141. See also: P0135 (Bank 1, Sensor 1).

Symptoms

You will likely notice poor fuel economy the illumination of the Check Engine Light.

Causes

A code P0141 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
    •open or short to ground in the wiring harness
    •O2 heater circuit wiring high resistance
    •O2 heater element resistance is high
    •Internal short or open in the heater element

Note: Typically a failed catalytic converter does not cause this code. You're more likely to see a P0420 code for a failed converter.

Possible Solutions
    •Replace oxygen sensor (cannot repair open or short that occurs internally to sensor)
    •Repair short or open or high resistance in wiring harness or harness connectors

4. zippadeedoodaa

Car(s):
    2007 Copen
    My 'fix' blog

Unlike many discussion ‘threads’ that never seem to go anywhere or don’t conclude, I thought it might be helpful to chime back with MY brief repair blog

Remember, this is only a reply as to my experience with this issue –

· Copen 1.3L 2007
    · 35K miles – engine management light illuminates
    · Purchased an OBD2 handheld diagnostic tool – (Ebay .. £12.95)
    You will find cheaper, just make sure it is OBD2 and/or EOBD compliant – the device I bought is handheld, easy to use and displays the error message on the screen.
    · Error – O2 heater circuit – bank 1 – sensor 2

· Tested sensor 2 heater circuit (two black wires coming out from body of sensor) for continuity
    · Result = open circuit - no continuity

My 1.3L has two O2 sensors. Sensor 1 located in the top of the exhaust manifold, and sensor 2 just after the bend in the down pipe at the front of the vehicle with quite good access. Sensor 2 is shrouded by a metal cage, held on by two bolts. I used a little penetrating spray and a 22mm ring spanner to work the sensor loose (don’t use an open ended spanner or you be be very quickly disappointed :-(( ) – it will take some effort to free it –

From my limited research, these O2 sensors (quoting the same model of vehicle to all suppliers) vary in price from around £70 upwards depending on which brand your parts stockist uses. The only difference I could conclude between my ‘universal fit’ sensor and the one from the parts supplier (apart from the price) is – you get a connecting plug.
    With the expensive ‘plug & play’ option, you simply remove the faulty sensor and fit the new one (minus a big wad of dosh from your wallet). I was quoted from one supplier an eye watering 168 quid, plus VAT – (Seriously dude ?!!).

Numbers taken from the original part are –
    Denso 89465 97405
    234000 9555
    04J12
    Might be helpful to someone ?

I decided to go for a DIY ‘universal’ fit O2 sensor (yer, you guessed it) from Ebay. £17 delivered. Mine came with 4 bare open wires (there’s the difference – no plug), 4 splicing connectors, heat shrink tubing and a heat resistant sleeve. I simply cut off the original connector from the faulty sensor and spliced it to the ‘universal’ fitment (maintaining the original length and wire colour coding) using the kit provided. After refitting, I cleared the fault code, turned over the engine and drove off into the sun – simples

Again, this is only a reply as to my experience with this issue

In the words of Pharrell - ...... clap along :)

regards

5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Out of interest, the sensor in my photo, which one is that - 1 or 2? (or is my photo irrelevant, as it's the 660cc?)

6. zippadeedoodaa

Car(s):
    2007 Copen
    sensor 2

Hi Number 6

That is sensor 2 in the picture – but on my 1.3L it’s a little further around the bend and covered by a protective cage

regards

7. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    DaG's is completely round the bend :D

Interesting read though and will try to remember this in case I get the same.

8. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Well, O2 sensors die after a while. FYI - the 660cc has two as well. One in front of the cat and another behind (the one in my photo).

9. Mob

Mob Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2006 Daihatsu Copen
    My 2006 Copen just switches off while driving.i park it off for a couple of hours.
    Then start again and it's fine for a few days.could it be the 02 sensor?