1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine oil

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by aracaris, Sep 30, 2013.

1. aracaris

aracaris Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen roadster
    Hi all

I have been informed by my Copens previous owner that it has been run on fully synthetic 10 40w oil. I realise the manual states 5 30w semi synthetic. Is it ok running on this spec of oil? Would you revert back to semi 5 30W or keep it on the same spec as the oil change is looming in the next 400 mile.
    Appreciate your thoughts/views:rolleyes:

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Give it an engine flush & fill with the correct 5W30 oil.

3. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    5w30 is probably good for a short service interval. As oils degrade their viscosity rating decreases so an old 5w30 might become 5w20 5w10. The 10w40 will become a 10w30 so its still in spec. But this might be less of an issue for 3000 miles oil changes.

I didn't see a fully syn 10w40 in Halfords but they do a fully syn 5w40. The 5w will give you better cold start protection but maintain high viscosity at operating temperature.

4. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    It should be noted that engine flushes can dislodge blobs of deposits and potentially block oil channels. Many people do not recommend them. The more regular a car has an oil change so deposits don't build up I think the safer you are, rather than one which can have a tar pits big enough to drag preserved mammoths out of.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Particularly metal - which is why I have about 5 rare earth magnets duct taped next to the side of the sump plug. Something I've done for a few years, and it's always done me proud.

6. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    yes I've done that also. Think I have one on the Copen as we speak. I've also added one to the side of an oil filter also.