1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine change from 660cc turbo to 1.3 na

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Troy, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Troy

Troy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 daihatsu copen
    Hi all,

Am a newbie 2004 copen owner, long time car builder, modifier (Toyota) my query is this has anyone on this forum or know of anbody who has done different factory 660cc turbo to 1.3 na) or custom engine, gearbox changes to series 1 daihatsu copens? As my latest purchase has 660cc of 4 cylinder 64hp fury but the previous owner scrimped on oil changes ( seized turbo) and over here in oz we have the daihatsu sirion gtvi 1.3 litre na which put out 100hp vs european 84hp?

Can get hold of a mint low miled 2001 gtvi sirion to transplant motor, box, harness, ecu, power steering pump, engine mounts, aircon etc, just need information from someone who may have any tips, tricks, pitfalls to doing an engine swap on the little beast, almost tempted to put in a gen 3 3sgte from an mr2 sw20 but think 240hp is a bit dangerous for the power to weight ratio and brakes, chassis.

Thanks
    Troy

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Engine swaps are possible, I have heard of some people fitting a 1L turbo engine and getting 130hp out of it.

The 1.3 Sport Engine from the Sirion with 102hp is not the same as the 87hp K3-VE Engine. I do not know if it is a direct fit. The gearbox is quite weak on the 102hp one, so watch out :D

3. Troy

Troy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 daihatsu copen
    Thanks for the reply, am not a gearbox breaker, even with performance cars and yes I know it can de done, just after knowledge from experienced copen enthusiasts.

Need some real world experience from someone who has busted their 660cc engine and transplanted a 1.3 or alternative engine, can't find any posts, threads on the net in regards to copen, every other car is out there.

4. Salieri

Car(s):
    Probably in other languages, the guy with the 1 liter turbo engine was from holland or belgium I believe.

5. Troy

Troy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 daihatsu copen
    Have purchased a gtvi manual sirion 102hp of fury with 110,000kms drives mint, so will see what fits in regards to mounting, power steering aircon etc should be a fun car when finished and get in the 8.5 second range from rest to 100kmh, not fast by any means but fairly quick for a daihatsu copen that's for sure.

Will make a thread in the very near future for other like minded individuals who have the 660cc ( especially Australian models) and want a power upgrade.

6. Salieri

Car(s):
    Keep us updated, I am curious to know how it all works. But do not forget to put in a new timing chain, clutch etc. while you have the engine out :p

7. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Sure be a lot faster but isn't the little buzzy 660 some of the attraction?

8. Troy

Troy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 daihatsu copen
    Yes can see your point, but when the turbo is the weak link with only 110,000kms and cost $2000 for a factory replacement or take a risk with $900 for a second hand unit ( no thanks) plus 64hp is a joke to say the least, even with boost controller, exhaust, ecu would struggle to get to 100hp, also my timing chain is gone in the 660cc motor as is the clutch so best to remove the lot as gtvi drives perfect and only cost $1300 for the whole car.

9. jcuyckens

jcuyckens Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Volvo XC60 2015
    Toyota Corolla 2004
    Rover 45 V6 2005
    Daihatso Copen 2006
    BMW R850RT & R850R
    Yamaha GTS1000 1993
    I've just finished an engine swap from k3-ve to 3sz-ve which has 1500cc and 105hp. But not so easy. I kept the harnass and ecu (abs). Build over all sensors. No fault codes on the OBD2 so far. I will upload some pictures and a list of issues i had to solve. I advise this to ne done by a mechanic!

10. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yes looks like a no brainer from the dollars point of view.

11. lex schotel

lex schotel Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 2004 ,, lamborghini murcielago
    bummer missed out on a yrv 1.3 turbo ...
    dreams dreams dreams ,,,, just want to be small ...... but FAST too :)

12. copenforbusiness

copenforbusiness Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Hi @Troy, have you managed the engine swap? Can you share any pointers?
    Cheers