Drying out the trunk

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by baobab68, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I've had quite a lot of water without any leak, just condensation. Since the boot is a fairly sealed space it doesn't get to air out so that builds up over time when it's wet.

I bought a bag of cat litter and 2 mesh laundry bags, double-bagged the litter and stuck it by the jack to soak up moisture, haven't had it since.

Debz likes this.
  2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Touch wood, I don’t have any leaks into the boot but I always park nose down on our sloping drive after reading a similar thread when I first bought my Copen.

The boot design is a bit of a nuisance when it’s raining so I’ve put a desiccant bag in the boot to absorb any moisture and also use a microfibres cloth to wipe the boot lid before I open it when it’s really wet. Of course, you have to remember to keep the cloth in the car rather than in the boot !

Vin Petrol likes this.
  3. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    I also have evidence of a past water leak in the boot - the electric tyre pump had been ruined by it and there was some rusty mark where the water had sat at some point.

I cut the middle out of the bung in the bottom of the boot so it still acts and looks like a bung but it should let any water out. And got a new tyre pump of a different design which fits in the nice little bag.

I have no idea where the water got in.

4. Tamara Coles

Tamara Coles Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Audi A6
    Audi A4
    Audi A4 estate
    Bought our Copen 2 days ago, its been sat on our drive since, we had very heavy rain over the past 2 days, so went out to check it this morning, only to find a swimming pool in the boot. Ive dried the bottom and put a towel on the carpet to dry it out a bit, before I put some cat litter in tights to soak up the remainder and take a hair dryer to the rest. So grateful for this post, as I would have just opened the boot and dried it out, little realising it would drain the battery!!!

5. Nimbus

Nimbus Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    We've had ongoing boot and car leaking issues as well, it got so bad and regular that we ended up taking out the carpets on the passenger side as they got saturated and would never dry out (strangely we've never had a problem on the driver's side). A refinement to taking out the bung in the boot and the three in the passenger side floor is to use a very fine drill bit to make four or five holes in the lowest part of each bung (to give me more control I did it by hand rather than using a drill; it was easy as the rubber is quite thin).

6. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    @Nimbus

It may be worth spending some time curing the leak if it’s got that bad.

7. Debz

Debz Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen roadster
    Today is 30th August 2019...my boot condensates so much it's dripped on the carpet bit n soaked through and rust is everywhere. For the past 3 years it's been towels and towels to soak.it up and change them as and when. And for the first time a few months ago I noticed it was wet under my mat in the drivers footwell, haven't a clue where it's coming from,So more towels...just keep a checking with ya hands to find wet patches. Bless for a Dec, 2003 model it's done ok. But as of today scrappage of parts and it's FIR SALE.

8. Steamer775

Steamer775 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Since this thread seems to have reanimated I'll share my experience of boot leak.

I had a lot of water coming in whenever it rained heavily and was tearing my hair out, as all I could confirm was that it was definitely NOT the oft-quoted brake light. It turned out to be something much cheaper to fix.

The boot lid is very thin and under the rear windscreen there's very little curvature to it. It's therefore very difficult to maintain contact on the rubber seal right across the width of the car because the slightest distortion will create a gap. In my case the leak was right in the middle, which I confirmed by sliding a piece of paper in with the boot shut.

The solution was simple. A 100mm length of old plastic brewing tube that I happened to have knocking around turned out to be just the right size, when pushed into the V of the seal, to close the leak.

9. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Could you possible share a picture of the area, I'm struggling to visualise..obviously a bit dense today. Thanks

10. Toucan

Toucan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2009 Daihatsu Copen 1.3 petrol
    That doesn't sound good at all. Have you got a garage to keep it in for winter and rainy weather?

11. Stuart bridge

Stuart bridge Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I have put some syphon tube in the seal below the rear window and use a cover seems to help.

12. Andrew A

Andrew A Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Diahatsu Copen
    I am a new Copen owner and have unfortunately got soaking carpets in the boot and behind both seats. We've taken all the carpets out to clean/dry them but don't want to put them all back in before I've cured the leak issue. Many thanks to Steamer775 for the suggestions to use the hose. I am certainly going to try this!!

13. Mike Joseph

Mike Joseph Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    You buy a car cover and as long as you take it off once a week to drive, try out the roof and allow it to breathe it is fine

14. Mike Joseph

Mike Joseph Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    I bought a fitted car cover for about £100 and it stops the boot from filling up and the windows from condensation
    I take the cover off once a week to air the paint, operate the roof and take it for a short drive to keep the battery topped up. I don't think it is a leak as such, more like condensation
    Roll on summer