Double Din

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Jemlins, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Jemlins

Jemlins Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 2007
    Morning!

Just wondered if anyone has replaced their little Copen's stereo? I've been looking at Double Dins...

I also want to replace my speakers so just looking for any products/tips/hints etc,

Thanks

Jem

2. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    where abouts in notts are you?

3. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
  4. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    If anyone is still wondering, I recently replaced the ho-hum original radio with a "Pumpkin" 2-DIN Android unit. The car was designed to potentially take a 2-DIN, so it wasn't really a problem. The new radio came with a pair of mounting plates with zillions of holes, and I was able to find 4 that matched perfectly. I was wondering what to do about the wiring, when I spotted a Toyota radio someone had thrown out, and I recognised the interface socket being exactly like the Copen one. I grabbed the Toyota radio and demolished it, just to rob the connector out of it. Using the connection diagram of the original radio, I wired up the Toyota connector quite easily. When I was finished, it just plugged in. When I fitted the dash panel back, the radio was a perfect fit. After I had a listen, I decided not to bother changing the speakers. There is plenty of bass, and I found an equaliser setting that sounds alright. Much better than the original radio, anyway. I installed Sygic GPS on it, put in a SIM card, and now it does everything my phone does and a lot more, except make phone calls. I use the bluetooth for that. It has 4 USB ports, so I put the GPS app on a microSD card, plugged into a little cardreader on the back of the radio. The GPS antenna has a magnet on it, so I just stuck it onto a brace next to the radio, and it seems to work fine. Two more USB extension cables are in the glove box, along with the SIM card socket. And there's still the USB and MicroSD card on the front panel for music, movies, whatever. When I'm home, it connects to my WiFi, so if I need to download anything, I can do it in my carport, so it saves using the 3G connection. Really quite good, brings the little car up to date.

5. Cyman45

Cyman45 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 659cc
    Been looking for one myself. if you don't mind what dimensions are the double din so i know what best to look for. Cheers. or what make is yours so i can look it up.

6. Krusty2fast4u

Krusty2fast4u Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen 660t
    May ask what double did you buy and do you remember the Toyota radio you salvaged please?

7. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    Like I said, "Pumpkin" brand; I can't remember the model number now - I bought it on Ebay. The main thing I was looking for was that it had a USB and SD card slot on the front panel. The front panel SD slot is supposed to be for the GPS, but actually can be used for anything. The Toyota radio was pretty generic, impossible to tell what vehicle it came out of. It was 2-DIN, but with custom fascia to fit the dash of whatever vehicle it came out of. It took me awhile to get the connector out; I had to completely demolish the radio and unsolder the socket from the PC board. It was worth doing, though; it made for a very neat installation of the new radio. I'll take a photo later.

Cyman45 and Krusty2fast4u like this.