door/roof seal problem

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by beermunster, Jun 2, 2013.

1. beermunster

beermunster Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 1.3
    Hi we have just recently purchased a 2007 1.3 copen but when we open the window and close it again it seems to distort the door/roof seal . We need to open the door and close it again to straighten seal. Has anyone got any ideas. Thank you.

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi beermunster welcome to the forum.
    On my car the windows come up and just brush up against the outside of the rubber roof seal. I take it yours is hitting the underside of the seal which would obviously distort it.
    Is this on both sides or just one? Is the seal pushed properly onto the roof? Does the roof look straight and square when closed? Are the door shut lines ok?
    If you can post a picture of it distorting, it will be easier to tell.

3. beermunster

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 1.3
    Hi mate the problem is only on the drivers side. The roof is lined up properly and doors look ok i think the seal must be out of place some how. I have cleaned the seal today with auto glym rubber care stuff and it is not as bad but just catches window on the way up just enough to distort seal. The fella that had the car before us stuck the seal on with glue so he must have had problem too. I think it when you get in car you catch your head on seal which has probably dislodged it.

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    With the window up jam a length of something between the seal and window. Leave it like that overnight or longer and see if that pushes the seal away from the glass and it stays there.
    Other than that pull the seal off (hopefully his glue wasn't the best) and refit it.
    He might have glued it slightly off the roof to try and get a better seal. I get wind noise behind my ear so mine could do wth being tighter on the glass. Pulling the seal away from the roof and sticking it in that position woud probably work, not about to do it though, I'll live with the noise.:)

5. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Not exactly related to the main thread or a solution really. But on the theme of rubber seals I spent nearly 2 hours tonight lubing all my rubber seals up with silicone grease. Roof, door, boot etc. I think there was a bit of squeak from them behind my head. So when I next drive it I will see. I also spent some time under the bonnet giving the rubber and plastic items a rub over as the product is for rubber and plastic. Hopefully it will keep them supple for a longer life. Also when i opened the roof yesterday it sounded like the seal across top of the window was stuck to the roof. I read recently someone on here had a ripped one, may be from this kind of force on it.

In fact I went crazy and rubbed over all the plastic in the cockpit too. Looks shiny now.

6. beermunster

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 1.3
    Thanks for advice. I have managed to get the glue off the seal and trim and have pushed the seal back to where it should be so now ok touch wood. We had a rattling roof too but now thanks to this forum i have adjusted clips and cleaned rubbers and sounds like a different car with roof up. Thanks

7. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Glad you got it sorted, nice one.