1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead as a ..................

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bassoon, May 5, 2017.

1. Bassoon

Bassoon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Hyundai i30
    Hyundai i40
    Hello again folks.
    Sorted my boot catch.
    Have just fitted new battery and there is no response whatsoever from the starter/engine..?
    Everything else works - I have no user manual - is there a button to press?.......
    I know it starts and runs well because I had it going on Sunday?
    Ray

2. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Sounds like the immobilizer is tripped, there's a bunch of different generic methods to reset it I can see online, no personal experience doing it though. Few are:-

open both doors, turn ignition on for 10m, then try to start
    with the key in the ignition and turned on, disconnect the negative battery terminal, wait 90s then reconnect
    close everything, lock the door with the key, walk at least 10 feet away, wait 5 minutes, unlock with the key and start

Hopefully someone else knows a way that works for the Copen, but these might be worth a try

3. Bassoon

Bassoon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Hyundai i30
    Hyundai i40
    Thanks for suggestions.
    I just sat in it a bit despondent.... pressed the remote a couple of times, tried again and it started instantly.....
    I'd also been fiddling with the boot, mine had a crease in the back which I've just bent out. So could have been the battery disconnection or me knocking sensors.
    I've just got rid of an SLK I had for a couple of years but less than 25 mpg isn't very funny! It was obviously great fun but I suspect the Copen will be far more amusing.
    Just got to MOT, tax and insure it and off I go!

Vin Petrol likes this.
  4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    My Cobra alarm/immobiliser times out after a few seconds so if I open the car with the remote and remove the crooklock, the car won't start until I press the unlock button again. You can tell when it's timed out because the led illuminates again and goes off as soon as the button is pressed. I assume it's normal behaviour as the alarm unit was sent back to Cobra to programme my new fob a few weeks ago and came back with no comments.

5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    if you're not using the, optional, Cobra alarm then the immo shouldn't "trip". The standard copen immobiliser disables the cars EFI only - it doesn't kill the car.

6. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I guess this is now resolved and covered in your other thread on the Cobra immobiliser. As No 6 says, the Cobra just disables the engine starting. When you press the unlock button again you can hear the fuel pump engage.

7. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I dunno about the Cobra. The standard immo _IS_ EFI disabling