1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytime lights.

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by DaG, Jul 25, 2013.

1. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
  2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Where are you thinking of mounting them dag?
    (yes, at the front, I know TaFox :))

Rex.

3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    You've got him off to a T.:D
    Where to mount them is the problem. Cutting two neat holes in the bumber would probably look best but seems a bit drastic. I'll have to do a bit of research and look at other makes of light to see what might look better. I do quite fancy these, as long as they look as if they were fitted on the production line.

4. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    If you just change the grill...

Over to TAF ;)

Attached Files:

5. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    We need Mr Fox to photoshop some led lights onto the front of a Copen so we can get a realistic idea of how they will look. Sorry but your grill and lights photoshop Is rubbish compared to TAF's.:eek:
    I'm surprised daihatsu haven't been in touch with him to join their design and development team after seeing his photoshops and videos on here.:D

Actually after seeing your picture I've realised there isn't anywhere on a Copen to put the lights apart from in the grill. Ah well.:(

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  6. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Instead of mounting additional lights I use my normal headlights as daytime lights by having installed this module:

http://www.misterdotcom.de/tagfahrl...3/tagfahrlichtmodul-fuer-daihatsu-copen?c=136

It is very easy to install in the fuse box by plugging it into existing connections (unfortunately the installation instructions currently cannot be downloaded from the website).
    Works really hassle free by dimming the normal headlights (you can set the dimming rate to 25% - 40% - 60% - 80% - 95% or 100%). Maybe that is also the reason for not having a blown head light bulb yet?
    In addition it has a coming-home function (lights will stay on for some seconds after you switched off the engine). Unfortunately the leaving-home function (lights will be switched on when you unlock the car with the remote) no one yet managed to make it work.

With some electrical knowledge one can even connect the fog lights instead of the normal headlights (will need to look it up, how it was done).

Let me know if anyone is interested to buy, I could bring them to KKITP.

Andreas

7. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello Andreas,

Interesting module. I have thought about using the fog lights for daytime running in the past.
    The problem was, daytime running are normally 21W and the fog light are 51W, so the dimming option with this module seems perfect.

I'm tempted.... If you could find any more info regarding fitting, it would be appreciated.

Rex.

8. RHD

RHD Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Saab 9-3
    Drl

DRL are crap, they're not for the UK. Its just Audi & Mercedes thought it'd look good on UK cars. They don't. They're annoying to say the least

9. scooty

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi Rex,

got some additional information from the guy in Germany who uses his fog lights as daytime lights:

He purchased the universal module (click me), not the one specific to the Copen mentioned above, and wired everything according to

Sorry, all in german, but I hope people with some electrical knowledge can make sense of the description in the installationn manual?

Andreas

10. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    there seems to be more talk about me here than lights!

11. magsjm

magsjm Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    COPEN & KIA SORENTO
    I have had Ring DRL's fitted behind the grill but \i have a Stainless steel aftermarket grill fitted, they are almost invisible unless the ignition is turned on, they were fitted using brackets supplied with the lights and are located below the plastic part of the front bumper just above the grill.

There is a guy in Belgium with a blue Copen who has his lights fitted in the same place.

12. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Your photoshop skills are legend.:D

13. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Could you post a picture up?

14. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Dag, thanks for the info. I'm still pondering at the moment.

This is an interesting post regarding the legal placement of DRL.

There are regulations for new car designs, but no placement requirements for retrofit, so I guess behind the grill is legal, but will it look right? (magsjm - any chance of a photo please?)

But making the fog lights into DLR, could be an MOT failure.

Rex.

15. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Is that because you can't have fog lights on during a clear day?

so the idea of DLR is that they are on all the time not selectable? but if fitted to the fogs they would be governed by the fog light switch making them selectable. Would the MOT pick up on this?

16. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I didn't really want to use the fog lights I just thought the two rows of LEDs on the front of the car would look pretty good.
    That link I gave was fairly expensive for these lights they are much cheaper on eBay. Not sure of the quality though.

I quite like these and they can be wired into your indicator circuits to act as indicators as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x2-DAYTIM...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43bdd1310e

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  17. scooty

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Pics of DLR behind the grill:

[​IMG]
    (c) dr4v3n/forum.micro-roadster.de

[​IMG]
    (c) AlfaGT/forum.micro-roadster.de

[​IMG]
    (c) patou/copenclub.forumprod.com

Andreas

Attached Files:

• tfl7.jpg
      tfl7.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
  18. magsjm

magsjm Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    COPEN & KIA SORENTO
    Mine are just like Patou's the Red Belgi:)que Copen.

As far as I am aware the law regarding DRL's is; they come on with the ignition and must either go off or dim by 50% when lights are switched on.
    The Ring ones are intelligent and are activated by differing current in the wiring, they stay on for a while after you turn off the ignition until any residual current has dissipated (Usually about 30 seconds) they are full brightness with the ignition on and reduce by 50% when either side lights of dipped beam is selected.
    I feel much safer in "Babe" now as I can be seen , previously I was driving with dipped beam on during the day.

19. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I don't think the yellow one looks more obvious with the lights, the yellow stands out far more than the lights. The grey one, well the sun light reflecting off the bonnet is as intense, so again I don't think I'd notice the car any more in bright daylight. Yes if its getting to dusk but then just turn the lights on.

So if a silver copen crashes head on into you mags, then I didn't notice the lights lol

20. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    We have just had come in the first photo of DaG's Copen on a typical weekend run supporting its newly installed DRL's :)

They come with wireless connectivity. For the JB-DET engined cars the DRL's come with an additional AAA battery to boost performance. There will be a chrome version available soon in the Worcestershire area. For those wanting to use DRL's at night, a black light version will be available which is anti-dazzle.

Watch out for a trend to be started!

Attached Files:

• dag.jpg
      dag.jpg
      File size:
      95 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013