1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu Not Currently Importing New Cars to the UK [Updated]

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by copenworld, Oct 13, 2009.

1. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    [​IMG]

In an article about Daihatsu's concept cars to be featured at the forthcoming Tokyo Motor Show, "What Car?" comments today on the current position with Daihatsu imports to the UK:

"The company is also showing every model it sells in Japan. However, few of these cars will make it to the UK, because the country's importer of Daihatsus isn't importing new cars due to poor exchange rates between the pound and the yen."

This confirms recent indications given by some UK dealers that new Daihatsus (including the Copen) are currently getting harder to find.

Update:"What Car?" has posted another story with more detail about the hold on imports here.

"A spokesman for International Motors said that the company hasn't imported any new Daihatsus 'for a few months' and doesn't expect to do so again until the current economic climate improves."

"According to figures released by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), Daihatsu sold 281 cars in September, compared with more than 1000 cars in September 2008."

2. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    While I feel sorry for the people who want a Copen and will find it increasingly difficult to get one, I have to admit to a slight smugness that I own a car that's becoming more rare and desirable every month...:eek:

3. dk21

dk21 Copenworld Newbie

Perhaps slightly worrying. You have to wonder how long ‘International motors’ can stay in business not selling any cars? I am sure we do not want to see Daihatsu in the UK go the way of Daihatsu in the US.